Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some help, put in a new hi torque starter can figure out wiring
i have the purple wire coming from firewall going to starter but no pink that goes to coil, all i have is a black wire shieled with a white casing . i cant figure out what its for , i dont see it in the wiring diagram and it came to same spot as purple one. HELP

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It's been a while since I did this but I don't think you need the connection to the starter. That wire by passed the resistor for full 12v when cranking. I think you can just send another wire for your ignition hot either from another switched source or remove the resistor wire at the main fire wall plug and put a 12 gage wire from the plug to your coil.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What type of hei did you go with? The wire should come off the back of the ignition switch with a constant 12 volts not just when cranking. That is how i hooked mine up on a 63 SS the other wire tape it up so it doesn't ground it still should have voltage running to it

·
Registered
208 Posts
on the 12 volts in my other post i want to clarify 12 when key is on and cranking but not when key is off a lot of the wires are close in color

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
car fianllystarted

I clipped the wire as close to the harness and then attached a new thicker on
car fired
but notice the wire got hot and smoked a bit where it met the old wire
how can I run a completely new wire?can I just add a a switch panel to constant power, flip it on to start , then turn it off?

not sure where to run a new wire to otherwise

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
That link shows how to replace the resistor wire. If that's the wire you spliced on to and didn't remove all of it you still have less than 12v powering your hei. The resistor wire only goes from the bulk head connector on the firewall, need to replace it with 12 gauge or run a separate 12 gauge to a keyed 12v source.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts