Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting one of those extra capacity trans pans with the fins on it. I have a 71, mild 350, with remanf TH350. Stock trans cooler in radiator is hooked up now.

I've kind of gotten this impression from people the 250-300 hp might be pushing the limits of the stock TH350. I've also heard that heat is a tranny's worst enemy. Is it worth getting one of those extra capacity trans pans? Or should I be fine?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
NovaNate said:
I'm thinking about getting one of those extra capacity trans pans with the fins on it. I have a 71, mild 350, with remanf TH350. Stock trans cooler in radiator is hooked up now.

I've kind of gotten this impression from people the 250-300 hp might be pushing the limits of the stock TH350. I've also heard that heat is a tranny's worst enemy. Is it worth getting one of those extra capacity trans pans? Or should I be fine?
You should be fine ,its when you heat the trans up that kills it ,usually the transmissions that die are caused from high stall converters, or real heavy trucks(suburbans etc) . Even heavy trucks last years without problems though! Most 300 h.p. engines dont need a stall converter either.IT CANT HURT TO HAVE EXTRA CAPACITY ( CHEAP INSURANCE).

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Stay Away

You don't want your trans pan being your ground clearance problem! Look under your car at the pan you have now and envision another two inches hanging down. See the ugly mess potential?
There are better ways to deal with ATF temp issues.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It can't hurt to have a little more compacity, but I think you will get more bang for buck if you put a remote cooler on the car. The heat in the transmission is created from converter when you are idling or power braking the engine. The fluid slipping between the turbines in the converter creates friction.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That ground clearance issue is huge. I have 2 inch drop spindles with a 2 quart extra pan and I have to avoid certain speed bumps and even going into some driveways are impossible. I have between 2 and 2.5 inches between my pan and the garage floor.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Capacity and bulk storage down below under your car near road pizza destruction have nothing to do with well designed, effecient hydraulic thermal transfer. You CAN have an automatic transmission without dragging it's belly all over town. Extra capacity will only DELAY your cooling problem. The 'extra' oil will eventualy become the same temp. Only way to know is to install a temp gauge. If the gauge reads more than 200* consider adding a cooler. I've heard of anal people having three temp senders, one in each of the two cooler legs and one in the pan. They can see temp into and out of cooler, plus median.
ANY oil pan ripped open is ugly so why put yourself there when you can design it correctly?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Two days ago, I put on a new trans pan to test for Derale, who make's a tube style trans pan for a Turbo-350 application. It added an extra 1 quart, 8 ounces to the capacity. They call theirs a "turbulator" design. Does it really work? They swear by them, but since I don't have a trans temp guage I'm not really sure. To me it looks like the airflow would be restricted through the tubes by the transmission crossmember. But it was shiny clean and free, and my stocker was dented in a few places, so I thought it 'd a worthwhile upgrade. I'd think an aluminum pan would better dissipate heat, don't you?

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
jason snyder said:
...Most 300 h.p. engines dont need a stall converter either...
Every converter is a 'stall' converter, otherwise it wouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I would invest in a tranny cooler and a gauge.

I have a 3,000 RPM stall speed, and my 150* trans fluid gauge doesn't even move off of 150* unless I sit in my driverway and powerbrake up to about 2000 RPM's for about 2 or 3 minutes. In fact, I thought my gauge wasn't working or my sender was bad until last weekend when I tried that and I finally got the needle to just budge.

I was originally thinking about one of those fancy pans until I posted here and these same guys discouraged it. Ground clearance is an issue. Cross member clearance might be another. Anyway, I'm running through my radiator and then a Derale fin style cooler I have mounted up inside my bumper.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mike Goble said:
Every converter is a 'stall' converter, otherwise it wouldn't work.
OBVIOUSLY= But most of us enthusiest consider 2200-2400 the starting point of an aftermarket stall converter,I think most of us understood my point ! Thanks for the lesson though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put an extra capacity aluminum pan on, by B&M as a matter of fact ~ it looked really sweet, but since it was only about 2-2 1/2" off the ground when I finished, I was afraid I wouldn't beable to pull out of my driveway ~ and sure enough- I pulled out and it started scraping on the oil plug..... what do you do about it ~ pull back in the garage and put the old one back on.
So if you don't feel like wasting about two hours, stick with what you got- and put a tranny cooler attached to your radiator....:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts