Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 lug Falcon 9" diameter drum that would work except for the center hole and the depth of the drum. If I bore the center hole (indexing hole) to 2.892" what should the depth (inside of index hole to outside of drum) be reduced to. I cant seem to find that dimension.

Would this be legal??

I have given up on new ones.

This is my first post. If I have it messed up would someone please help me.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
First of all welcome. A lot of knowledge and experience in here, not to mention great people.

Most with 62/63's get a 64-67 rear end and install that. I know it won't help you right now, but it's something to consider. I happened to come across a 65....so I pulled the rear out of it as well as the spindles up front. At least that way you get into the 5-bolt pattern which is easier for parts and wheel selections.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
It's a tough problem. These rear ends are becoming extinct, as axle bearings, seals and other replacement parts are nearly extinct. Unless you have a '62-'63 you are trying to restore or keep totally original, I'd look for another solution. I wouldn't normally say that as I like to keep old cars as factory as possible, but I wouldn't modify a drum from another car, and I definitely wouldn't run a sub par one just because it fits.

You might try to find an old rear end in a junkyard or keep an eye out on C/L, but there's not guarantee these drums would be turnable within spec. It's easy to convert to a 5-lug rear (and front spindles, for that matter) and even keep 13" wheels if you really wanted to, but most guys convert to 5 lug and have so many wheel options open to them.

Haven't seen NOS ones for sale for a long stretch, and it's scrounging from original donors here.

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
I may have some good used drums , if your interested

1 - 6 of 6 Posts