Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I want to install an external transmission cooler for my turbo 350.I got one of those 18" long rounded finned ones.I was wondering if I should install it inline in conjuntion with the trans cooler on the radiator or use the external cooler only and block off the radiator cooler?If I run it inline... should I install it before or after the radiator trans cooler?Thanks for the help!!bm

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
trans cooler..

We have them on 2 of our BB automatic cars and we retain the factory connections to the radiator. I think the fuid goes thru the external cooler first and then thru the rad and back to tranny....I would have to double check to be sure. We also added a deep sump pan and trans oil temp gauge....nice addition.

wilma

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I ran mine before the radiator.

Why? If transmission is hot I want to take that heat down before radiator.

I want to use the radiator cooler to maintain a temp in the transmission.

I can warm the transmission up with out driving it.
(bracket racing) When the water temp comes up, it put heat into the transmission.

I also believe if the transmission was to get very warm, the external cooler will knock the temp down before the radiator cooler, helping keep high heat out of the engine cooling system.

IMO
Al

PS: this thread tells you what line is what in the transmission. Feed & return.
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/cooler_fittings.asp

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i too have a b&M super cooloer mounted in front of radiator im also using a deep sump finned aluminum pan dont have trans temp gauge i havent found one that i can use with braided steel and a/n fittings ( like a fuel pressure gauge ) b&m has that electric one but i didnt like it too much. my trans runs hot to the touch but the fluid still looks blue ( b&m trick shift ) and doesnt stink so i think its working been it the car for well over a year now drive it all over the place , too and from track , its got over thirty passes on it , no slipping issues when i shift so i think its working fine.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,636 Posts
Sorry to hijack this Bruce, but I have a quick question. I'm currently running an air-cooled Powerglide. I have a trans cooler for when I drop in the 2004R. Do I have to run the cooler in front of the radiator or can I rig it up under the car closer to the transmission? I'll be running this hooked to my stock 6 cylinder 250? As long as it gets airflow it should be okay right? I'm 28 miles from work and there is no such thing as a traffic jam around here (just in case it sits idling and needs the fan to pull airflow?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts