Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My body guy didn't seal the seams under my Nova and now it's left up to me to get this done. I was thinking about using 3M 08656 brush-able seam sealer. Will this work for me or what would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Which seams in particular?

I use 3M's 8368 seam sealer, which comes from a standard 10.5oz tube.

Is this sealer going over epoxy primer, bare steel, or?

If it's going over epoxy, make sure to understand the recoat window and any scuffing or surface prep you need to do.

If you're putting it over bare steel, make sure the TDS for the seam sealer says that's OK. You'll be better off laying some epoxy primer either way.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
3M Autobody Sealant

I used 3M's 08500.
It comes in a caulk gun tube and is an industrial duty product.
Do Not Get It On Your Skin.
Worse than foam insulation to get it off.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, it looks like I have a problem as all I know is, it was primed with a black primer. I have no idea what kind. I am in a position with the car being back home and he's been paid but the exterior seam sealing didn't get done. He did seal the interior with some sort of yellow sealer and did a real sloppy job of that. I'm not taking it back to him so I'm on my own now. I don't have an air system to run any type of painting gun so if I did apply some sort of primer along the seams before sealing them, it'd have to be from a spray can.

I did have a contract with him but when the "dustless paint removal" guy ended up sand blasting the car that contract went out the window. I was very lucky that he even did as much as he did for the same amount of money.

The seams left undone underneath are the seam going across the back of the body between the wheelwells, the lower wheel wells, the seal made when he replaced the trunk pan. a couple of seams on the firewall and I don't exactly know what else but I'm sure there are more.

·
Registered
725 Posts
USC makes a pretty good 2k epoxy primer for being a rattle can. 8656 is a popular brushable I know for sure. also lord fusor which sounds like maybe what your body guy used (its yellow,) SEM 2 part sealers or 3m urethane the gray soft tubes are both good which take special applicators

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,760 Posts
I don't remember the 'name or number'

But, as said in an early post ---- we (Richardson Paint & Body Shop) ,
would use 'seam sealer in the (caulk-type) tube -- 3m brand.

Sam, I'd say ----- Do You have a "Paint Vendor / Supplier" in your area.
A phone call may help you out. I would use / stay with a 'name brand' product , and the 'Tube - type - sealer' would be easy too apply.

We would get the 'car' repaired & into primer …. then, apply any seam-sealer after that ------ just before top coat -----------

That was along time back -- I'm sure things have changed.
just my 2cents ….

1 - 6 of 6 Posts