Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have centerline 2 piece 15 x 15 wheels that are about 20 years old. I used to run a tube in my tires (sportsman pro).

Two days ago i got some MT S/R 31 x 18 x 15 radial tires and had them installed at the local tire shop. New stems and no damage to the wheels or tires.

24 hours later the drivers side is flat and the passenger side is down 20 lbs.

I read on some posts about removing the old silicone and replacing it with new.

I used a razor blade to remove all the old stuff. Took a wire wheel to clean up the aluminum. Used brake clean to remove any grease, wiped it down and filled it with an automotive silicon.

I then used a plug socket to force the silicon into the groove and make a nice bead.

Is there anything else that I should or could do to make sure this does not happen again? I takes me two hours to remove the rear tires because i have to drop the whole rear suspension to do it!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Are you sure that they are Centerlines or Super Tricks (by Cragar)?

I guess it doesn't matter. First off, there appears to be some corrosion or minor pitting in the photos. That will cause issues right there. Secondly, most of the wheels I know of where the 2 halves are bolted together are Cragar Super Tricks and those have a tendency to leak. Another thing to look for are hairline cracks in the bead area. Real common.

All the guys I know that have them run tubes. The Super Tricks are (IMO) one of the best race wheels ever made but also are a P.I.T.A.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure that they are Centerlines or Super Tricks (by Cragar)?

I guess it doesn't matter. First off, there appears to be some corrosion or minor pitting in the photos. That will cause issues right there. Secondly, most of the wheels I know of where the 2 halves are bolted together are Cragar Super Tricks and those have a tendency to leak. Another thing to look for are hairline cracks in the bead area. Real common.

All the guys I know that have them run tubes. The Super Tricks are (IMO) one of the best race wheels ever made but also are a P.I.T.A.
The pictures make the pitting look a lot worse than it is. I thought the wheels were Centerlines, i don't really know. They are
riveted together though. The beads cleaned up real nice and don't appear to have cracks.

I really would like to not run tubes. I junked my last ones and the tires are radials

Thanks for the advise though.

Paul

[/IMG]

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Yeah, those look like the might be Centerlines because of the rivets. Super Tricks always used bolts. Well the best I can tell you is try to mount it back up and see.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
After you get the tires mounted back up and filled with air try and find something large enough to fill with water and submerge the tire and wheel to check for any leakage you will see tiny bubbles if they are leaking. RICK

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Whatever you do DON'T put Slime or Fix-a-Flat or anything like that in the tires. :no: :no: :no: 1000x :no:

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
After you get the tires mounted back up and filled with air try and find something large enough to fill with water and submerge the tire and wheel to check for any leakage you will see tiny bubbles if they are leaking. RICK
Bathtub usually works good for this....

I had a set of wire wheels that would leak from the spokes. I tried every type of sealant I could get my hands on to keep it from leaking but never had much luck.

John

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Bathtub usually works good for this....

John
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh your wife must love you John! :D

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
^^^^^^ :rotfl: A koi pond might be better watch out for the fish. RICK

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Yeah John what is the progress on that car? Last I heard it might make it to Big D's BBQ paintless. :hijack: RICK

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh your wife must love you John! :D
Not married anymore so I can do those things now!!:devil:

Yeah John what is the progress on that car? Last I heard it might make it to Big D's BBQ paintless. :hijack: RICK
Making a new fuel tank. Old one wasn't compatible with the camaro pump. Plus I never really liked the diffuser design. Doing something a little different. Also need to start smoothing the transaxle case to get ready for painting it. I've been making a lot of little changes so I'm hoping I can finish them in time to put it all together and drive it to the BBQ.

While getting the car to the BBQ would be great I'm trying to iron out as many of the details as I can along with making some design changes that I was never all that happy with. Their small but I have to look at them every day so, hopefully, that happens in time to get it there.

One thing that may keep me from bringing it, even if it's running, is pictures. Can't have any taken of the car until it gets completed and shot for media.

I'll take the Ricks tank I have along with all the fuel pump and accessories and sell them once the tank is completed so if you're looking for a stainless tank and fuel pump setup I'll have it for sale.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts