Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Nova fellows,

I am in the process of piecing together my second 66 Coupé since I found out it's best to have 1 for the street and 1 for racing - makes it easier and breaks less parts...

I just scored an original '73 400 2-bolt bottom end (less than 60000 miles). It is the best untouched 400 I have ever seen - no ridge just a little carbon deposit at the top, no cracks anywhere, absolutely negligable taper in just 2 bores, the others are perfectly round!!!).
I am planning to run the block in my race Nova with flowbench ported Dart Pro1s flowing 280, the cam will be a Lunati solid roller >260° @ 0.05" and >0.600" lift.
Car target weight will be around 2700lb., TH350, 4:11 gearing - so I will be going thru the traps at 7000rpm.
Class index is 10.9sec.

Now here is the questions:

Is it possible to use this 400 block and crankshaft for this adventure when buying new pistons/rods and balancing the assembly - and will it hold up?

Or would it be the better idea to sell it for good money and buy an aftermarket block?
Otherwise, I have my hands on a 408 block that has been converted to spread 4bolt main caps. It has 1 cylinder linered, but has been running like this two seasons with no signs of problems...

Hope to get some good advice - thanks in advance!

Regards from overseas
Boris

·
Vendor
4,058 Posts
Boris,

Nice find........I ran a stock block for many years. Since it was a drag race only block my machine shop filled the water jackets with "hard block" this keeps the cylinders nice and round. You will only be circulating water thru the heads. Invest in a good aftermarket crank. The stock crank can take some abuse and others will tell you stories about running them at extreme rpm's for a lot of races...........the crank is the heart of the engine if it breaks you break alot more along with it. Nothing wrong with that block, just prep it properly and add the right components and you will have a bullet proof set up for many seasons.

My best with the stock 400 block was mid 10's. It had canfield heads, summit "pro line" crank and rods (6"). They don't make the proline stuff any more, but it was proof that the aftermarket can make an inexpesive and strong kit.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
All I run are stock 400 blocks. I look for the 509 or the 817 castings. Then have splayed caps put on, and then all the machining done. I haven't filled any blocks yet. I guess when I really push one I will. So far my last 406 I built it had a nitrided stock crank, 5.7 "pink" rods, Ross pistons, 640" lift roller cam, Dart iron heads, Pro dominator tunnel ram and 2 660 center squirters, in my nova ran [email protected] with 4.56's and [email protected] with 4.11's on N20. It's best to use good quality parts but nothing wrong with stock stuff so long as you don't over abuse them.

P.S. you don't have a g/f named natasha do you???....lol

·
Registered
508 Posts
i too run stock block and stock nitrated crank. my car runs 10.60's on motor and mid to low 9's on the squeeze!!! i would roll with the plan you have going and if its all done right you will be happy for a long time.:yes: especally if your going to stay in that 10.90 index. you shouldnt have to turn the motor that hard to hit that number.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'd have the block Magged and sonic checked. If there's no cracks or thin cylinders I'd do a half-fill (just up to the bottom of the water pump holes), stud the mains and go!!

Oh yeah, deck plugs and a good line hone (with the new studs installed) is a good idea as well.:yes:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, thanks so far for the advice, guys.

It's good to know I will be able to run the stock stuff (with some work, of course!) and hit my index. There is also a very nice bracket class over here in Europe that is for cars running between 12.99 and 10.00, so there are lots of choices.

Now, the 400s are kinda rare over here, so if someone will give me REAL money for it I'll sell it and invest in an aftermarket block - otherwise it's prep time!!!

P.S. you don't have a g/f named natasha do you???....lol
Haha, that's a good one (you know "The spy who loved me"?)! :)
But my wife's name is Christina, and we are NOT from the former German Democratic Republic (East Germany, which really was not so democratic after all...).

Regards from overseas,

Boris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts