Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why expanding foam would have been put in the pillars of my 2nd gen? ANOTHER one of my wonderful surprises since owning this car. It goes from the upper cowl all the way up as far as I can reach a 8 inch screwdriver. Debating about pulling the headliner to see the top.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I've seen that stuff used in ghetto rust repairs. use the foam to fill the rust holes then dig out just enough so you can fill it with bondo. the foam works as a backing.:no:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I've seen that stuff used in ghetto rust repairs. use the foam to fill the rust holes then dig out just enough so you can fill it with bondo. the foam works as a backing.:no:
Damn!!! Now you just killed my plans to foam up the voids in my car LOL. I wouldnt be surprised if the previous owner was trying to use it as sound deadener. I have done some goofy stuff in my lifetime, prolly more to come too. JR

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Anyone know why expanding foam would have been put in the pillars of my 2nd gen? ANOTHER one of my wonderful surprises since owning this car. It goes from the upper cowl all the way up as far as I can reach a 8 inch screwdriver. Debating about pulling the headliner to see the top.
I don't think that is out of place..the 66 I had contained the same material in the pillars....perhaps sound/vibration dampening?

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I don't think that is out of place..the 66 I had contained the same material in the pillars....perhaps sound/vibration dampening?
Yeah but that stuff attracts moisture and holds it and eventually it'll start to rust out your a-pillars! Not good!

I can think of better ways to sound deaden your nova!

John

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
A lot of new cars have it for soundproofing. Like nutcase said, it can hold moisture and cause rusting. I have some nice a pillar rust to deal with and am wondering if mine are filled now.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Not saying it's worth putting back in....but most likely factory....still being used in structural areas ( pillars ) of new vehicles.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im pretty sure its not factory

it was a messy job, all over the place and you can see how it expanded out of seams near the windshield and with the vent kickpanels out where it dripped down all over the place. MORE AND MORE work to do. why would you sound deaden pillars anyways?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah but that stuff attracts moisture and holds it and eventually it'll start to rust out your a-pillars! Not good!John
If it is a closed cell foam it should not retain moisture - only an open cell foam will. Assuming it wasn't wet/moist before shooting it in. I could be mistaken (need to check) but I believe polyethylene and polystyrene foams are closed. Polyurethane foam (the kind that you shoot and is expandable) can be found in both closed and open cell.

·
5,145 Posts
The newer cars used two types of closed cell foam, acoustical and structural.
They are used to increase strength and reduce NVH (noise, vibration and harshness). NVH reduction is a big topic right now with the OEMs.
These are not foams like Great Stuff foam you would use around house windows.
In collision repair we replace exactly as the factory had them.
It is not recommended to put them in older vehicles. While they may not absorb
water, they do act as a dam and also stop airflow that helps dry out the inside
of pilars and rockers.
The tuner crowd has started using the foams to keep their cars from rattling apart from the vibrations from big stereos. I would expect that some of these cars will have corrosion issues soon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
After finding a mouse condo in my head liner I was considering ways to deny rodent access to the headliner area. I thought shooting the A, B, and C pillars full of closed cell foam would do that.

The headliner install will be the last thing I do on my '71 restification. I do not want mice back up in there. :no:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pillar foam

Foam isn't a good idea, if it gets wet is will cause a whole world of trouble. How do I know...look at my pics....lol..that's what started the issue of replacing my pillar and cowl. At least I think I used the foam?. I'm not really sure now, but wouldn't doubt it, like someone said"GHETTO" repair attempt. It's all good now, metal from a 68 amx fender worked perfectly.

·
Registered
914 Posts
After finding a mouse condo in my head liner I was considering ways to deny rodent access to the headliner area. I thought shooting the A, B, and C pillars full of closed cell foam would do that.

The headliner install will be the last thing I do on my '71 restification. I do not want mice back up in there. :no:
Foam won't stop them. They will look at that stuff as bedding material. The little buggers can chew through concrete.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Foam won't stop them. They will look at that stuff as bedding material. The little buggers can chew through concrete.
Actually it does stop them. I worked for a small hotel in sf with a serious rodent problem... Bought a case of great stuff and filled every lil crack, crevice and hole on the outside of the 100 year old building. Big *** mistake as within a couple weeks they started to die in the damn walls all over the place. Real pita.

Back when I worked in car audio, we used it sparingly in places that we couldn't get to with dynamat (like between the trunk skeleton and skin). Worked great when used properly... I'd never use it on my car though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts