Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 1965 mustang(289) for a while. It has Herman headers and dual flowmaster 40 series on it. It sounds perfect mean throaty sound!
I recently got my baby a 1970 nova!(350sb) It has a cam, hooker headers, and a borla exhaust. I was not happy with sound I was getting from the borla's so I just put some 40 series flowmasters on it to get that deep mean muscle sound. I figured my 289 sounded good this thing would scream! 300$ dollars after I was very disappointed it sounds worst then the borla's! Idel sounds ok but when I get on it it gets quieter! What went wrong? What are you SB guys running that you are happy with? Luckily I also installed electric cut outs(open headers!) but to many cops at the beach. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have had a 1965 mustang(289) for a while. It has Herman headers and dual flowmaster 40 series on it. It sounds perfect mean throaty sound!
I recently got my baby a 1970 nova!(350sb) It has a cam, hooker headers, and a borla exhaust. I was not happy with sound I was getting from the borla's so I just put some 40 series flowmasters on it to get that deep mean muscle sound. I figured my 289 sounded good this thing would scream! 300$ dollars after I was very disappointed it sounds worst then the borla's! Idel sounds ok but when I get on it it gets quieter! What went wrong? What are you SB guys running that you are happy with? Luckily I also installed electric cut outs(open headers!) but to many cops at the beach. Thanks in advance!
You might try the Super-44's. They are the meanest of the 40 series. Jack

·
Registered
192 Posts
1965 SS, 327, 2.5" with Pypes "Street Violaters". Low and loud.
Love them and a great price for stainless steel system.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know from your post that you're familiar and have history with Flowmasters, but I have a question for you.

Yes, this seems very obvious, but I believe Flowmasters are chambered/baffled and have no packing on the inside. Is it possible they were installed backwards, inlet/outlet reversed?

Just thought I would ask.

Although Flowmasters are the preferred muffler of choice for most muscle cars, they're not a peronal favorite of mine; they seem a little tinny to me. They do have a deep tone on some of the sizes, but still seem a bit too metalic sounding. I like Dynoflow's Ultra Flo mufflers for a deep mellow sound.

Good luck with your exhaust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts