Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my exhaust install working from the rear of the car foward. I had some pre-formed pipes that go over the axel from a Jegs kit. I wanted these tucked up nice and tight. The fit was tight due to my relocated leaf springs and my 275-50-15 tires. After some carefull positioning they ended up fitting pretty good. I put a hanger near the very end of the pipe and also another one in front of my Hooker Aero Chamber muflers. This weekend, I got my Summit electric cut-outs with turn downs installed and welded up. Now all I have left to do is to have two pipes bent at the local mufler shop to go between the header reducer and the "Y" of the cut-out. I'm not expecting any performace increase with the cuts, they are just for fun. Here are a few photos from today's progress:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started my exhaust install working from the rear of the car foward. I had some pre-formed pipes that go over the axel from a Jegs kit. I wanted these tucked up nice and tight. The fit was tight due to my relocated leaf springs and my 275-50-15 tires. After some carefull positioning they ended up fitting pretty good. I put a hanger near the very end of the pipe and also another one in front of my Hooker Aero Chamber muflers. This weekend, I got my Summit electric cut-outs with turn downs installed and welded up. Now all I have left to do is to have two pipes bent at the local mufler shop to go between the header reducer and the "Y" of the cut-out. I'm not expecting any performace increase with the cuts, they are just for fun. Here are a few photos from today's progress:

do they leak sound at all when there closed? where did you buy these?

your car is so clean!!!!!!! haha

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
This weekend, I got my Summit electric cut-outs with turn downs installed and welded up.
SA-WEET!!!! I like, lots. Yer doing what I coulnt ten years ago, the valves just werent available. Had a buddy in areospace fab and he said he could turn me on to a pair of stainless valves for his cost, 1000 bucks each. That was ten years ago when all that was available was the mechanical flapper valves, didnt want that mess.

What type of seal do they use, can you see it or do they talk about it? Teflon could prolly handle the heat. Curious what they used.

Those dudes are compact. I thought about making my own. I have a fair amount of machining skills, just not much engineering skills. I was over thinking it. Thats a rotating valve right? For some stupid reason I was trying to design a gate type valve, to block the exit out the muff side. The valve was just too long. Dummy me!! Just a simple butterfly valve. And with some proper seating surfaces and a decent motor to close it its a good deal. No need to close off the muff side, heck, its all gonna dump out the big hole that was just opened up anyway.

I LIKE!!! Are they 2.5"? Any 3"? Ok, guess I could get off my lazy azz and find out for myself huh. You already supplied the source. Thanks. JR

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SA-WEET!!!! I like, lots. Yer doing what I coulnt ten years ago, the valves just werent available. Had a buddy in areospace fab and he said he could turn me on to a pair of stainless valves for his cost, 1000 bucks each. That was ten years ago when all that was available was the mechanical flapper valves, didnt want that mess.

What type of seal do they use, can you see it or do they talk about it? Teflon could prolly handle the heat. Curious what they used.

Those dudes are compact. I thought about making my own. I have a fair amount of machining skills, just not much engineering skills. I was over thinking it. Thats a rotating valve right? For some stupid reason I was trying to design a gate type valve, to block the exit out the muff side. The valve was just too long. Dummy me!! Just a simple butterfly valve. And with some proper seating surfaces and a decent motor to close it its a good deal. No need to close off the muff side, heck, its all gonna dump out the big hole that was just opened up anyway.

I LIKE!!! Are they 2.5"? Any 3"? Ok, guess I could get off my lazy azz and find out for myself huh. You already supplied the source. Thanks. JR
The Y's and the electric cutouts valves are made by Summit Racing....at least they are sold under their name. The down turns are from Jegs. My exhaust is 2 1/2", but you will notice that the Y's step up to 3" at the Y section. So the cutouts and down turns are 3". The valves themselves are stainless steel round plate butterfly valves....just like on a carb. There are no Teflon seals of any type. The machining is pretty tight. I do not think they will leak much if any at all. I mostly bought them as I have built a fairly quiet exhaust system ( I think) with Hooker Aero Chamber muflers and pipes that go up and over the axel and dump out pointing about 45 degrees downward at the rear of thje car. I wanted to be able to make it loud when I wanted and cruze along the rest of the time. I can't wait for the first ricer who throws me a rev with their fart can mufler. Cut outs open! Throw them a real rev..Ha Ha.
Ron

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Just an obsevervation but isn't this just opening a hole on the side of a straight pipe? The gas doesn't like to make turns, in other words just because you open a hole on the side of a pipe doesn't mean the gas is going to say to itself "Oh well look at that, a nice open hole to go through, I'm going to make this sharp turn there"

If anything the tubes on the side of the straight pipes would seem to act more like a venturi drawing in fresh air not expelling more exhaust, maybe change the tone but I think little actual gas would expel from the side like that. I could be wrong if the exhaust further back from the "Y" was pretty restrictive but that isn't the intention of a system that works well.

To me if the cut outs were straight and the angled out part went to the full exhaust the maximun benefit would be realized.

Excuse my crude drawing below but wouldn't it make more sense like the picture?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok, Ill butt in :) But I dont think its a matter of controlling the flow of exhaust gases for maximum performance. Like a collector dump.

Its just a simple aesthetic issue. You know, like a great paint job or wheels. Those things draw attention to the car. And lemme say, there wont be any need for any additional draw for his car, the paint and body work, along with the sharp wheels will speak loudly.

But its a nice lil feature to be able to open up the beast when you want to. You know, when siting next to a guy with a rattle can of a car, a lil honda sitting there. Open her up and its like holy crap!!! The car just turned into a beast. Something to say yeah, its got some balls no need to push the throttle. There is a beast within, true American motivation there.

And as far as it even dumping out the cutout. Yup, its gonna. Think about the first time you heard a exhaust manifold leak. Loud huh. All yer friends thought it was a major engine failure. But you knew, heard it before, its just a leaky manifold. But it was loud as hell. Ok, now open the leak up with a 2.5" hole. Its gonna be loud as any open circle track car running two chamber muffs. LOL Gonna scare the hell outta the folks. I like it.

And its just for certain occasions Im sure. the police wont like the thunder coming outta that open exhaust. It will be loud. JR

Just an obsevervation but isn't this just opening a hole on the side of a straight pipe? The gas doesn't like to make turns, in other words just because you open a hole on the side of a pipe doesn't mean the gas is going to say to itself "Oh well look at that, a nice open hole to go through, I'm going to make this sharp turn there"

If anything the tubes on the side of the straight pipes would seem to act more like a venturi drawing in fresh air not expelling more exhaust, maybe change the tone but I think little actual gas would expel from the side like that. I could be wrong if the exhaust further back from the "Y" was pretty restrictive but that isn't the intention of a system that works well.

To me if the cut outs were straight and the angled out part went to the full exhaust the maximun benefit would be realized.

Excuse my crude drawing below but wouldn't it make more sense like the picture?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts