Votes: 3 8.8%
  • MagnaFlow Performance

Votes: 14 41.2%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which muffler should I get, because I'm finding it very hard to make a choice. I'm not going with the Flowmaster, since I read a lot about them being restrictive. I also am not going with a turbo muffler since I don't have a turbo on my car.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have cheapo thrush turbo mufflers on my 283 I am very happy with them. If your unsure search youtube for video and sound clips.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
have you considered a pypes muffler?? they sound pretty good

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Been there. Done that. I'm a Magna-Flow customer for life.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you considered a pypes muffler?? they sound pretty good
I just did a bit of research and they sound good, but they don't come in 2 1/4"

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I have edelbrock stainless muffs. 3" in and out. Sound good I guess. JR

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Everyone has their opinion on what sounds good and what don't. And the same muffler will not sound the same on every motor. So you will have to decide what sounds good to you

My preference is a quiet exhaust. So I run 2 1/2" pipe to Super Turbos with pipes over the rear end and exiting down just above the rear quarter so you can't see the tips. Just had my Firebird done with flanges so I can remove a section, so I can do some open header cruises. Cost me $500 for everything

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i have a sat of IMCOs and i love them.

but ive always wanted to try Dr. Gas

https://www.drgas.net/index.php
which IMCO's do you have? I used to run a IMCO 3" performance muffler and they were quiet and worked really well. They have since discontinued them.

No offense to you or you buddy 3504spd when i see a flowmaster system and cut outs I have to laugh. No need for cut outs if your exhaust is not restrictive.
"Turbo" in turbo muffler refers to the design not the fact you need a turbo to run the mufflers. They originated from the corvair that ran a flat 6 cyl with "turbo" mufflers. My personal choice is Dynomax super turbo mufflers. I run them on everything I own. I had a set of flowmasters back in the day when they first came out cuz they were cheap and I actually liked the sound. When they changed over to the silver coated mufflers from the black ones they changed the sound and I didn't like them. They are good for mustangs and thats it IMO.
The best sounding muffler IMO ever was the old cyclone "sonic" turbo mufflers made by Mr. Gasket back in the late 80's - early 90's. They sounded bad *** thru tail pipes as well as being dumped at the axle. I love that cackly sound but not a glass pack sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts