Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
welll pretty soon im gonna get a whole new exhaust system and im stumped on where to get the pipes to exit, at first i was gonna get them running all the way back to the rear bumper but decided not to so im open to suggestions on where to have them exit ooo and please show some pics of your own set up to to give me a better idea on how it will look..thanks guys! :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Right after the rear wheels on a slight angle.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
oscar its actually cheaper for the shop to bend a new piece of pipe than it is to cut and weld scrap pieces together. The machines that are used to bend the pipe have diagrams to tell ya where to put the bends. Also a good muffler shop will custom bend the pipe so its tucked up and not rubbing or hitting anything and will be symmetrical and exit at the right angles.
My old 70 had the pipes come over the rear and and exit right behind the tires and and the tips were cut on an angle. You could barely see the tailpipes.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oscar its actually cheaper for the shop to bend a new piece of pipe than it is to cut and weld scrap pieces together. The machines that are used to bend the pipe have diagrams to tell ya where to put the bends. Also a good muffler shop will custom bend the pipe so its tucked up and not rubbing or hitting anything and will be symmetrical and exit at the right angles.
My old 70 had the pipes come over the rear and and exit right behind the tires and and the tips were cut on an angle. You could barely see the tailpipes.
ooo i dont know how they do it i just thought they made it out of scrap, so what do i tell them? or do i bring my own pipes?

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, but it gives you an idea.....

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
ask around who is a good muffler shop that does hot rods and muscle cars.
When you bring the car to them grab a piece of pipe and show them you want the tailpipes over the axle and exit down at an angle behind the tire. Its up to you if you want a chrome tip or just have them finish off the pipe straight or at an angle. The other option is to buy a pre-bent kit from summit or flowmaster or whoever and then have the muffler shop hang it and weld it all up. To have a muffler shop do the complete exhaust, you install the headers and supply the mufflers around here in Ca it would run $375-500 depending on the shop.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ask around who is a good muffler shop that does hot rods and muscle cars.
When you bring the car to them grab a piece of pipe and show them you want the tailpipes over the axle and exit down at an angle behind the tire. Its up to you if you want a chrome tip or just have them finish off the pipe straight or at an angle. The other option is to buy a pre-bent kit from summit or flowmaster or whoever and then have the muffler shop hang it and weld it all up. To have a muffler shop do the complete exhaust, you install the headers and supply the mufflers around here in Ca it would run $375-500 depending on the shop.
ooo ok ill bring some pic to them as well to give them a better idea but not sure on buying a kit i was gonna do that in the start but a few friends of mine and some muscle guy cars told me of a local place that everyone goes to that dose work for pretty cheap about $300-400 so ill just have the shop do it and ask them how they make them and such cause i have no clue how a shop makes the pipes welds them and such but im gonna ask for x-pipes :yes:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts