Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a weird question, but what muffler sounds the best for the 194Ci straight sixes? I know the V8 sound is where it's at, but I am wanting to keep my '62 all original and would like it to have a nice sound to it. Is this possible? Would like to see some pics of exhaust systems

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The Thrush Turbo Mufflers made by Dynamax have a nice quiet sound with just enough throatiness on heavy acceleration to let you know that you don't have a stock exhaust system.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Don't have mine done yet but I plan on coming off the headers to a Y to a single Flowmaster, heard one and it sounded good, at least to me it did anyhow..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I wasn't clear. I know there are a lot of options for V8s and most sound awesome. I'm looking for something for the 6 banger. Is it even possible to get a nice exhaust sound from a 6 cyl?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey, back in the day I had a 256 inline 6 in my CJ5. I had a ... Clifford(i think) tri y headers running into 2in pipes with Thrush mufflers.... included a crossover H tube. the thing sounded GREAT and is the only time I ever put headers on where you could FEEL the power increase in the seat. Then I added a Clifford 4bbl intake and Holley 390... :D:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, back in the day I had a 256 inline 6 in my CJ5. I had a ... Clifford(i think) tri y headers running into 2in pipes with Thrush mufflers.... included a crossover H tube. the thing sounded GREAT and is the only time I ever put headers on where you could FEEL the power increase in the seat. Then I added a Clifford 4bbl intake and Holley 390... :D:D
a header on a 6-cyl? Maybe I'll look into that. But then again, I'm trying to keep it original

·
Registered
565 Posts
Nice! Does it make a big power difference? How do the pipes route under the car?
Anything over stock is an improvement with the right combination, you can route the pipes any way you want them, single or dual..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice! Does it make a big power difference? How do the pipes route under the car?
As I said before on the 258 it is the only time i have FELT the power gain by just installing headers. Also got another 1200 RPMs of good pulling power. Best $$ i ever spent on a mod IMO.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have the langdons cast headers to an x pipe and then through cherry bombs, sounds about the same as 65nova4door's

arndog

·
Registered
250 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts