Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I recently purchased a 1968 3rd gen chevy nova with a 327 and long tube headers. The exhaust doesn't go all the way back to the end of the car. Instead, it stops halfway in the middle of the car, with mufflers. I was wondering why people do this. Does doing this have any increase in horsepower? Is this some weird time period modification people would do? I've seen a few other people doing this and I wanted to hear some other people's opinions on this. I am thinking of taking it out and having a normal exhaust that goes all the way to the back.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Hey everyone.

I recently purchased a 1968 3rd gen chevy nova with a 327 and long tube headers. The exhaust doesn't go all the way back to the end of the car. Instead, it stops halfway in the middle of the car, with mufflers. I was wondering why people do this. Does doing this have any increase in horsepower? Is this some weird time period modification people would do? I've seen a few other people doing this and I wanted to hear some other people's opinions on this. I am thinking of taking it out and having a normal exhaust that goes all the way to the back.

Thank you
People do all sorts of things with exhaust. Some run just straight pipes beneath the car as a straight tube always has less restriction than a bent one. Some people do it to add exhaust without the difficulty of piping the exhaust up and over the rear axle then out to the rear or side under the rear quarters at the trunk drop-off. Some people run an entire system from collectors to the bumper or drop-off. Depends on what you're after. I have a '70 and have a complete 3" mandrel-bent system from collector to the tailpipe exit up and over the rear end to the quarter drop-off because I want my system to dump out in the back, not under the car. Not a fan of the high CO content of the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
1968 3rd gen chevy nova with a 327 and long tube headers
Is the motor built up more than a stock 327 or is it a stocker (besides the headers)? Exhaust size matters... as does tubing type (mechanically bent or mandrel bent). Plenty of kits out there you could buy and install yourself and become more intimately familiar with the car now that it's yours :) Probably find one much cheaper than you could pay a muffler guy to weld one in and it would be mandrel bent, not mechanically... Just peruse Summit, Jegs or Speedway (and other sites) and see what they have available. Tons of options.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
737 Posts
I may well wind up doing this myself. I have a built a custom suspension into the car, widened the wheel wells and narrowed the axle. Not looking like there will be any passage for tail pipes. I’m guessing mine will exit in front of the rear tires. That said, I’m still hopeful I can get them all the way to the bumper.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I installed the 327 into my 1963 nova SS back in the day it was around 1982. I bought headers and header flange turbo mufflers. Bought some down turns and left it at that because it was all I could afford. Custom exhaust systems were very expensive and I just couldn't afford it. Yes it was loud but it was also cool. I had some of my greatest times in that car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
In 1980-81 my buddy had a 63 that had been a race car before it was tamed and restreeted. When he got it there were just headers and a set of Cherry Bombs bolted to them. Two high school kids thought it was cool. Several police officers did not. We ended up installing Thrush mufflers and exhaust that exited out the sides in front of the rear wheels. It was incredibly loud and smelly but cheap and marginally legal for the state of PA. We of course loved it. I'm older and possibly wiser now. Figure an inexpensive way to exit out the back of the car and you will be much happier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the motor built up more than a stock 327 or is it a stocker (besides the headers)? Exhaust size matters... as does tubing type (mechanically bent or mandrel bent). Plenty of kits out there you could buy and install yourself and become more intimately familiar with the car now that it's yours :) Probably find one much cheaper than you could pay a muffler guy to weld one in and it would be mandrel bent, not mechanically... Just peruse Summit, Jegs or Speedway (and other sites) and see what they have available. Tons of options.
Its just a stock 327 from a 1966 impala. I think i'm just going to have it done the right way and send it to the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone.

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it’s worth I bought a complete system that exits right behind rear wheel wells for my 73 from Heartthrob Exhaust. Less than $300. Installed myself with no welding (have a pacemaker so welding is a no no) then I took it to a shop to have them tack it in place. Easy install sounds great and no issues. (Standard turbo mufflers).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cheap! Had a guy and son respond to my ad for original rust free Colorado life, 71 Malibu, big complaint/ counter offer was “ needs exhaust “, told him told em to look down at header/ glass pac system and no change in asking $! Have a nice day
no sale, collector from LA bought it sight unseen sometime later!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey everyone.

Thank you
I agree with what a lot of people are saying here. Running it to the back you’ll have less heat, drone on the freeway and exhaust gas in the cab.

I think people used to do dumps (dumping the mufflers at the rear axle) for a couple of reasons. They could unbolt the exhaust from the headers easier at the track or if they went wider in the rear with tires or did suspension mods (relocating shocks) and could no longer get tubes over the rear axle.

I bought the summit 2.5” exhaust kit for Novas and some Dynomax Super Turbos. Sounds nice and isn’t obnoxious on the freeway.

Here is a clip of it idling

1 - 18 of 18 Posts