Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a engine fire, now my exhaust gaskets are leaking.
I got a 400smblk V8

I just used plain old hardware store bolts for the exhaust manifolds, my guess is they heated up and streched.

What grade of bolts do I use for the exhaust manifolds, or better yet can I Order a set of bolts from a auto parts store?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
they're grade 5 bolts... standard ol' bolts... hardware store, parts house etc... i don't recall any of the parts books stating what the lengths are... and most bolts are ordered by the box, not assortment. so you'd have ta get "X" of these, and "X" of those ta make up yer set. a dealership may have listed the lengths, i dunno...

they say ya need ta re-torque headers... exhaust mannys need re-torquing too ;)

hope i helped :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I Don't Recommend Using Gaskets When Bolting Cast Iron Exhaust Manifold To Cast Iron Heads. The Manifolds Seal Up Better With Out Them. If You Manifold Is Warped You Should Replace It.

Chevy Never Uses Gaskets On Their Manifolds.

We Usually Replace The Broken Manifold Bolts With Grade 5 Bolts.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If the manifold is warped you can get it flatter by using a old belt from a belt sander, stretch it over a flat peice of glass or flat metal and rub it back and forth if you don't have any other method to get it straight. Once you get the bad warp out use a small amount of high temp silicone and apply it to the surfaces and tighten it down with new bolts after you chase the threads with a tap so they can tighten up good. Did it too a guys 55 chevy with a stock 265 in it and been OK for over a year now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts