Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone using exhaust manifolds know what paint to use that doesnt burn off ? Some say that Eastwoods manifold paint works & will last, but others say is doesnt last. Anyone have any luck with any product out there ?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think all the heat paints are very similar.In my experience diligent prep and heat cycling off the car are the keys to success.Sandblast if possible,pour the heat to them to sweat out the last of the contaminants (600+F till they don't smoke),no touching without gloves after that,final cleansing with brake clean and then paint.Heat cycle to 250F 1/2hr,let cool,450F 1/2hr,let cool,600-700 for a few minutes and let stand till cold,put on car,do burnout.The closer together the above steps,the better.I used a tiger torch and an infrared thermometer in an old oil drum to cook my headers.Worked great.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
781 Posts
I had mine sandblasted and used a can of grey stove paint from the local fireplace store. They look close to original color and although they only have a couple thousand miles on them they seem to be holding up nicely.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I media blasted my old headers then used the VHT high temp rattle can paint and followed the curing process by heating them with a torch and eventually heating them when installed on the car. They lasted over 4 years looking an awesome aluminum color until I sold the Nova.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts