Chevy Nova Forum banner

Exhaust exit poll

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Over the axle, because the drone is obnoxious when the exhaust exits under the car.

Kev

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
I've got mine coming out right behind the rear tires on each side . I like the look and sound.Don't like the noise under me I like it as far behind me as possible.Guess I'm getting old:D.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Behind the rears....It was cheaper..........:yes:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Oh, I see. Yes, over the axle, but I like it behind the tires. Straight out the back looks a little hillbilly to me. It "tucks" better that way.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
depends. mine goes out the back on my SS, but they are tucked up real close, and can barely see them. they curve down at the tip.

I agree with the others though, I don't like it straight out below the bumper.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
What I truly like is called tuck and dump!

They turn down and dump right at the rear bumper, and face the ground at a angle.

You can't see the pipes until the very end.

Takes a good muffler man to do this.

Mine dump behind the rear wheel, 3 inch pipe is not going all the way to the back, does cause some unwanted sound!

Al

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Behind the rear wheels. Out the back looks *******.... of course, some people want it to look *******... :beat:

So if you don't like it! It's a automatic *******?

Say Yankee boy!!!:rolleyes::D:D:devil::yes:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
What I truly like is called tuck and dump!

They turn down and dump right at the rear bumper, and face the ground at a angle.

You can't see the pipes until the very end.

Takes a good muffler man to do this.

Mine dump behind the rear wheel, 3 inch pipe is not going all the way to the back, does cause some unwanted sound!

Al
that's how mine are.:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Mine will be behind the tire. Currently dumped at the axle. I like Al's tuck and dump too, but it is tricky past the rear wheel well on third gens.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Mine turn down and dump before the rear end

Its loud as hell :devil:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have to go with over the axle and downward behind the tires. On my old 70 you could barely see the tips. They pointed downward at an angle and had the ends of the pipes cut like stock, hard to describe but like the pipe was cut at an angle but only half of the end is at an angle, as if you took it and flattened the top half. Look at the majority of early 90's GM trucks.
You can barely see it on my old dually:

you can barely see the tip on the nova:

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
It sounds like you are overthinking this a little too much and making a science project out ot it. Do what you like or have to do...it's just two exhaust pipes. Personally I hate them dumped under the car...too much noise, exhaust fumes, etc. On my 66 I had to exit them through the rocker in front the rear tires as there was no room for large exhaust due to all the suspension stuff. My 33 street rod has them all the way to the rear pan but tucked underneath with a short turn down right at the lip so they don't show.

As with most personal car stuff it's a matter of what YOU like or sometimes the way it's built you only have one or two options for what you can do.

1 - 20 of 263 Posts