Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current setup is pictured, 2.5" outlet mufflers dumped at the rear axle. I'm ok with that but my co-pilot (wife) has some issues with it and I told her a set of tailpipes would fix her right up.

I'm not racing the car, but I like performance as much as anybody.

1. I can have my local shop bend me a set of tailpipes pretty reasonable. They would be able to work off of the existing mufflers which are center outlet. I'd like to dump in the stock location right behind the rear tires.

2. Or I can spend a bit more and order a set of mandrel bent tailpipes from Heartthrob. http://www.heartthrobexhaustinc.com/ Prolly have to change mufflers (more cost) as they recommend an offset in and out muffler setup with their tailpipes.

Will the mandrel bent really make that much difference in performance? I'd like to keep it as loud as possible too. What's everyone's experience on this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
id run it to the stock location courtesy your muffler shop...do you race your car? what's the motor combo? when i was younger i thought bigger the better, might be true, but if your combo's less than 350 horse...between mandrel and regular bent pipe...i think the difference would be minimal...some magazine should do a comparo, but all that money on the mandrel pipes and different mufflers...i'd have the shop put on the pipes exiting to stock location..then if you still wanna invest more, go to a chassis dyno and just change stuff to your hearts content, then post the results for everyone :D

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
If the shop is good and can do a nice job. I would go with them. For street use the other is just not worth the money. If you were redoing all of it maybe but not just the tail pipes.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I also would go with your exhaust guy. Really no need at this point to go for a couple feet of mandrel bent tubes. You will have all the noise you want, if not change muffs. Simple is good for many things. JR

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Will the mandrel bent really make that much difference in performance? I'd like to keep it as loud as possible too.

Because it is "after" the muffler it shouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Had the same issue years ago, but it drove me nuts too, i have a hatchback so the noise is even greater, i just cut off my turn downs and put 3" over the outlets and had two 30"tails bent at a 30 degree angle and ran mine under the tubes like this...................... Also adding just an H pipe will kill some noise

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas, taking her into the shop in the morning.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
So how did you make out? May be late now but if it was me, I'd leave the mufflers and just run some standard pipes over the rear and out behind the tire. OR, go straight out the back. My old exhaust ran straight and came out below the bumper but this time, I'm going to have them drop down just aft the rear tire.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Had the same issue years ago, but it drove me nuts too, i have a hatchback so the noise is even greater, i just cut off my turn downs and put 3" over the outlets and had two 30"tails bent at a 30 degree angle and ran mine under the tubes like this...................... Also adding just an H pipe will kill some noise
With this method do you have exhaust hitting the tires? Not so much physically, but exhaust gasses and pressure.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I would like to see the pics. I am in the same situation as you. I run 3" exhaust on mine and exits just like yours. My 5yr old daughter and I like it the way it is, but the wife doesn't. LOL With all the windows down you do get a little exhaust fumes in the car which isn't good for the kid. I won't complain as I can just add some race gas and use it as an air freshener.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
with your current set up I'd have the muffler guy installed an H pipe or a piece of tubing same diameter as your exhaust right were it bends inward after the pipe leaves the collector. Guys out here who run X pipes IMO they are louder than H pipes. Running a full 2.5" exhaust will be alot quieter than what you have now. On street driven cars I like to use 2 1/4" tail pipes to quiet down even more and the reduced diameter keeps the velocity of the exhaust up. Your only restriction will be the muffler. Run the tailpipes over the axle and exit right behind the tire.

I ran that set up on my 70 nova but with turbo mufflers. Very quiet and sounded excellent.

P.S. Im not against X pipes, they do have their use and make torque for sure. IMO I just think they make the system louder. I have a car at my shop and its F**kin loud!!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have changed out H pipes for x pipes on some mustangs and there is definitely a sound change. Not sure it is quieter or louder though. I would not put smaller tail pipes than the rest of the system. We did that on one of my Dad's cars and it was a big mistake. Cut them back off as soon as he got home with them. They made the exhaust "cackle" when letting off the throttle. Sounded like crap and that is what I am afraid of by adding tail pipes.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I would not put smaller tail pipes than the rest of the system. We did that on one of my Dad's cars and it was a big mistake. Cut them back off as soon as he got home with them. They made the exhaust "cackle" when letting off the throttle. Sounded like crap and that is what I am afraid of by adding tail pipes.
wow that's interesting. I never had an issue with that on decel. I gotta keep that in mind. I know depending on the muffler and the length of the tailpipe the exhaust would sound more like "glasspacks" and like have the "raaaaaapppp" sound under full throttle. YUK! Boy I wished I knew how to use all this high tech computer stuff....I'd have a sound byte of my old 70 nova exhaust. It sounded sooo sweet!!!

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So how did you make out? May be late now but if it was me, I'd leave the mufflers and just run some standard pipes over the rear and out behind the tire. OR, go straight out the back. My old exhaust ran straight and came out below the bumper but this time, I'm going to have them drop down just aft the rear tire.
Went to the shop today. They had trouble getting the 2.5" tailpipes bent the way they wanted, the pipe wanted to pinch at the second bend. So they just tacked the downspouts back on for now. Ordered 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes, over the axle/back of the tire exit from Heartthrob. http://www.heartthrobexhaustinc.com/mandrelbentpipes.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts