Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am close to firing up the overhauled 6.2 from a 07 Denali for my '70 Nova base. No AFM and the VVT is disabled. Stock cam. Ported heads. Required bore to slightly increase displacement. Natural aspiration and will go with ram air intake. Hedman mid-range headers. Hoping to tip into or near 500HP. I know 2.5" exhaust is sufficient but I like the sound of 3" for that lower-pitched drone. Want more of the cop car cruiser with quiet and comfort feel, but also want a little fun. Have thought about cutouts but if all I get is loud noise... I'm not ready to fork out $300-500 for undeserved attention.

I read an article from 2012 where they installed cutouts in a system for a 67 GTO/400ci. "The baseline numbers were 291 rwhp and 309 lb-ft. After opening the cutouts, we
saw 297 peak rwhp and 318 lb-ft. The peak power came in 200 rpm lower than when the cutouts were closed." And here is the line which really caught my attention, "Perhaps the power gain from the cutouts would be bigger with a more restrictive exhaust system."

I'm currently looking at a Pypes SGF13 configuration with Dynamax Ultra Flo mufflers. Perhaps, one day I'll invest in a turbo (if the stock markets are good to me before retiring). What about the cutouts? Are they just for fun to make a street machine sound more than it is? If purchasing a pair of electric cutouts, does anyone have feedback on The Quick Time QTEC60P versus the Granatelli 307530K or Granatelli 302530K? Cheers, appreciate the comments/feedback!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I did back to back dyno pulls on a LS 408 with 600 FWHP, 3” exhaust through magnaflow mufflers. It made 1hp more through the cutouts. Not enough to justify the cost but it sure sounds good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for those comments. The money not spent on cutouts will go nicely towards a pair of new front rubber treads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts