Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting close to being done with restoration of my 1969 L78 396 Nova. My goal is for car to be stock appearing other than headers. I want to exhaust to look correct with the correct tailpipes and transverse muffler. I know Gardner makes the premium correct system, but they are expensive and I would hate to have to cut up the head pipes for my headers. I also have heard the stock transverse muffler did not flow very well???

I did look at the Pypes system and it looks ok other than it has a "Welded can" looking muffler that does not resemble anything stock. Inline tube is also building nice systems, but nothing for Nova yet.

Does anyone know of a system that:
- has stock appearing muffler and tailpipes
- Muffler flows better that stock
- is affordable

Thanks, Kevin

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I don't recall hearing anyone here finding a stock set style exhaust for an L78. If you have headers, there's 50 free hp with mandrel exhaust with the L78. I bolted in a Magnaflow stainless kit, the exits are in stock location, but it's a dual muffler stainless setup with an X pipe. For the most part it's all hidden and it was money well spent IMO.

Your other option is to check out a local exhaust shop, to have a system bent up to match the OE system and they should be able to find an aftermarket OE style muffler too. I find many places enjoy doing old school jobs like yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.