Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iam looking around or a shop to have my exhaust system installed. all i need is the tubing (2.5in) and to have it installed. i have a set of Hooker Headers Super Comp Headers and a pair of flowmaster supper 44's. the prices i got from 6 or 7 different shops were in the range of $450-520 dollars just for install. is it just me or is this WAY to much for install. i have two different friends who had their exahust done for $200 and it was from the exhaust manifolds. the cars that were done were a 65 F**d mustang and 73 nova, and both took there mufflers. why dose the headers make the price jump over $200. sorry for the length of the rant.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
iam looking around or a shop to have my exhaust system installed. all i need is the tubing (2.5in) and to have it installed. i have a set of Hooker Headers Super Comp Headers and a pair of flowmaster supper 44's. the prices i got from 6 or 7 different shops were in the range of $450-520 dollars just for install. is it just me or is this WAY to much for install. i have two different friends who had their exahust done for $200 and it was from the exhaust manifolds. the cars that were done were a 65 F**d mustang and 73 nova, and both took there mufflers. why dose the headers make the price jump over $200. sorry for the length of the rant.
WAY to much dude.

is that for stainless or something??

my exhaust got put on for 370 even. and that was for everything. the mufflers the piping (2.5 in) all of it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i work at a meineke and we get that much for a full custom exhaust with flowmasters and stainless tips if you have pipes it shouldnt be more than like 200 maybe 250 if they have to modify your pipes.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Do it yourself, order some pipe from dr gas or somewhere similar and weld it up yourself. Save the cash for something else. Just a thought for you. And its not that hard of a job. Good luck.

Len

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
It should run you in the $400 range if you already have the headers on there, but don't have any of the pipes or mufflers.

Exhaust is a PITA - the "direct fit" kits never fit right :mad: and the custom exhaust shops charge custom pricing. It's been my experience to just pay somebody to deal with it and not worry about it. :rolleyes:

This comes from a guy that knows how to weld!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
remember you get what you pay for. A really good friend of mine owned Custom Muffler here in the bay area from the late 80's till 2001. He was considered one of the best shops in the area because of his phenominal work and attention to detail. His prices were on the high side but well worth it. NO kinks in the pipes, equal length and symmetrical, tucked up so they didn't scrape on anything, mufflers level and secured properly. Tailpipes symmetrical and tucked up and tips done per customer request. All aluminized pipe with full mig welded joints and his welds looked like the system was tig welded. Very high quality stuff.

$300-$400 is about right. Maybe less cuz your supplying the mufflers. Sometimes you have to be specific on what you want and verify what materials their using and if that was a mandrel bent system or pipes bent on the machine. Some shops still use regular non aluminized pipe. Some don't fully mig weld the joints. Like I said, you get what you pay for.

P.S. check out some cars and see what you like and ask where they got their system done.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got my full system done for 385.00 + tax = 416.76 including Mufflers (Flowmaster 40's x2). I had installed the headers myself, and had the car towed over to them.

I asked for 3" pipes, welded from the headers back (non stainless). They welded in the H pipe, and tucked all the pipes as close to the underside of the car as possible. The exit tubes go up and over the rear axle, where they dump. You have to be looking below the rear bumper to see the the exit tubes, or any of it actually. The pipes are all mandrel bent. They had the car done in 24hrs.

However, here's my issues with the work. The welds looked kinda fat, but they're holding. I had to adjust the length of one of the muffler hangers to get one of the mufflers to hang symmetrically with the other one (shortened the strap by 1/4"). I had to modify and rehang the parking brake cable so it didn't touch the exhaust pipes.

Everything else cleared and doesn't rattle against the car anywhere, and the shop guaranteed their pipes and welds for life.

I guess the higher in price you go, the better quality you're (supposed to be) getting. One shop was asking for about 400 more over what I paid, offering the same work and gaurantee, but his shop was immaculate, and had pictures of all the cars that he worked on which all pretty much looked show. For me, what I got was a deal. Not the best, but they met my general wishes, and it all still works and seems to be holding together.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Since you are in Oxnard, I assume you already tried Kenz Mufller on Wooley. If not, you should definitely get an estimate from him. A buddy took his El Camino there, had the exhaust completely redone (he already had headers in). He was very happy and it was much less than the prices you quoted. I have had some minor work done and they always do great work at a very good cost. Put the headers in yourself, then drive it over there to finish the job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Exhaust

Buy a set of torque tech mandrel bent pipes. Mine fit perfect on my 69 w/502, and are easy to install youself. Just my 2 cents.Drag69

1 - 11 of 11 Posts