Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I need to know what material my 63 factory ss seat belts are. Can anyone help with certainty? No room for guessing here.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The correct weave isn't made anymore that I know of, so you would need to contact someone who bought rolls and rolls of it when a local seat belt company went out of business. ;);)

They would probably also have a variety of colors too. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I a not looking for new material. I am just trying to find out what my factory ones were made of to see of I can dye them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No need to apologize. All help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
He's trying to determine whether the belts are nylon or not. I doubt they're cotton as they'd stretch too much in an accident. Probably nylon since that seems/seemed to be the yarn of choice back in the day for seat belts. Now they make racing restraints out of pure polyester since poly doesn't have as much stretch as nylon does.

If they're nylon he'll send them to me and I can dye them deep black for him. If they're poly then they won't be able to be dyed the deep black he wants because poly has a very narrow range when it comes to dyeing deep colors with an atmospheric machine. In those instances they have to dye the yarn under pressure so that the dye penetrates into the synthetic fiber and then weave the belt with the pressure dyed yarn. If they're mixed fibers like a nylon/poly......then we're going to have a problem as it will dye a charcoal since the poly won't take the dye but the nylon will.

John

·
Registered
914 Posts
I tried years ago to go from faded green to black with some 1970 belts just by soaking them in a bowl of black dye. Didn't get the deep black I was looking for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts