Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been discussed but I was just speaking to my machinist about picking up my motor next week (mild 350) and he's talking about me needing to add a capful of Marvel Mystery Oil into my gas tank every fill up. Says all the fuel nowadays contains a small percentage of ethanol, which could dry up parts on our older style motors. Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
i run it in my 355 that was built 20yrs ago with no problems.. just make sure your tank is clean and you have a new fuel filter on between the tank and pump. ethanol in a dirty tank will break all the gunk loose and send it to your motor. this is the main reason people think ethanol hurts your engine. but after running a few tanks of it and keeping an eye on you fuel filter it wont be a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I had an old Ford P/U which after many years I sold to a guy. He got some bad gas which had water in it and I told him to try some dry gas in it. That fixed it but a couple days later he was coming to work and it quit in the parking lot. I went out to see what was wrong and the fuel filter was stopped up completely. Seems he figured if one can was good 6 or 8 cans would be better. It broke everything in the tank loose and clogged the filter up. RM

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
the 10% that most places have in the fuel wont cause you any problems as far as dryng things out is concerned....

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree that Ethanol is not bad. I ran it in my Ford truck for 10 years with no problems at all. The key is making sure your TANK is clean to begin with as it will break stuff up which goes through your fuel.

I run 92 octane in my Nova but in my Chevelle and Monte Carlo I ran Ethanol from day 1, with my new engines. No problems at all-ever.

Guy I know at work lived in CA came to Iowa and started using Ethanol in his truck. Within no time he had problems with his fuel pump. CLogged up on him. Put new one in and has been running on Ethanol ever since.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
There is a warning on gas pumps here in California that state that there may be up to 10% Ethanol in the gasoline sold here. It's been that way for several years. I have an old Corvette with an old Rochester fuel injection unit, and heard horror stories how it would seize up the high pressure pumps on the injection, but I have never had any problems with it. The only beef that I have is that we only get 91 octane here. Even 93 would be a big help.
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts