Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!

This is for you bracket racers. Anyone out there running one of the ET predictor programs at the track? Im looking at racelog pro or some variance of that. The weather is killing me with the heat now in full force.

Just yesterday my car was jumping around by .07 - .09 in just a matter of 15 to 20 minutes. It wasnt just me either, so im thinking if I can utilize a little technology I can get the shoe polish a bit closer, and gain an edge! Looking for any input on what works, do they work? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I am not using one but I sure could have used one a week ago. I had 3 time trials over a 4 hour period and my times were all with .059 of each other and MPHs were all within .3 mph of each other. This is actually pretty good for my car. In the first elimination run I dialed a middle time, thinking I would have a little to spare as it was now 9:45 PM and the temp had dropped by 10 degrees. I ran a full tenth faster in the 60' than my previous Time Trial but the car slowed on the top end to finish a full tenth slower and 2 MPH slower than that run. I lost by .016 seconds. This car never ceases to confound me. I am thinking maybe carb issues or maybe a screw loose in front of the wheel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sure is frustrating aint it? Normaly this time of year the weather goes downhill most the day till about 4-5pm (air dry's out, temp goes up, etc.) so I normaly account for that by just padding my dial a few hundredths, (our rounds can go quick, but normaly start around 3pm) but Saturday we all had the challenge of a track that was green (resurfaced) and just started to hook nice around 2pm, so instead of slowing down cars would speed up as the weather got worse. My short times jumped around a bit as well (worn tires/track). Suddenly my focus is moving from my tuneup/combo to meteorology! lol

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
You can get a Performaire unit from Summit or Jegs but they're about 400 bucks plus. If you're not going to race that much, you can just use a log book. But, you still need a weather station or gauges, like for temp, humidity, and bar pressure. You need these things to log into the book. The Performaire has all this inside of it. After you have like three runs logged, it can predict your e.t. Also, if you have any bad runs, like if you spin the tires, you do not log that run into the weather computer. Dave

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
NOVACA1N said:
I've got the TAG weather station...it's surprisingly accurate.
Is that the command air system you have? (wsc-i or ii) Does it let you log runs to a computer?

Those units are pretty slick. I just want something that works.

Im pondering getting a Skymaster weather insturment and then using the racelog "et predictor" as this setup is about half the cost of the canned systems, since I already have a computer. They also have racelog for the palm pilot so one could use a cheap palm pilot to log runs and weather, and use a handheld measuring device.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
All my friends have and use predictors. They are great for running any of the index classes where you race with no time trials the day of the race. You qualify today and race in the morning with no practice. They can help you bracket race some but you need to have consistant 60 ft times and a decent tune up on the motor. If you have hugh ET bounce you need to try and resolve that. If the 60 ft times are good then start looking at carbs and jets to better control your ET. If you run a scoop for added speed, seal it and try to get more stable air temperature to the carb. I don't use one but don't have much problem dialing the car, it repeats well and is pretty easy to figure. I need someone to dial the driver better so get more consistant lights.......LOL. RM

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Real McCoy said:
All my friends have and use predictors. They are great for running any of the index classes where you race with no time trials the day of the race. You qualify today and race in the morning with no practice. They can help you bracket race some but you need to have consistant 60 ft times and a decent tune up on the motor. If you have hugh ET bounce you need to try and resolve that. If the 60 ft times are good then start looking at carbs and jets to better control your ET. If you run a scoop for added speed, seal it and try to get more stable air temperature to the carb. I don't use one but don't have much problem dialing the car, it repeats well and is pretty easy to figure. I need someone to dial the driver better so get more consistant lights.......LOL. RM
What is considered huge ET bounce? A tenth, or a few hundreths? I was thinking a ET computer would also help me see how consistent the car is? Now on ET bounce I see mine move around (under a tenth) as the density altitude moves around, so I think some movement is a given no? In the same DA conditions my car has run back to back ET's to the hunredths, so I think im not far off. Thanks again for the input!

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Now Drive, don't forget that while you have an all out race car, I have a street car that I sometimes choose to drive on the track. Heck, If I were to remove most of the exhaust system and interior, you'd never be able to keep up with me. Remember.....FEAR THE WAGON!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Dan_Lebherz said:
Now Drive, don't forget that while you have an all out race car, I have a street car that I sometimes choose to drive on the track. Heck, If I were to remove most of the exhaust system and interior, you'd never be able to keep up with me. Remember.....FEAR THE WAGON!!!!!!!!!!
Hey now, my car is streetable, licensed and insured....for this season anyhow ;)

Note to self: ....must fear the wagon!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I consider hugh ET bounce anything that is unexpected. I raced my car 2 weeks ago. It ran 6.09, 6.07 and 6.07 in 2 practice rounds and dash for cash. It was very hot and the track was slick. The 60 ft times were off all day so it was slow. It ran 6.07 on a 6.07 dial, 6.05 and 6.05 on a 6.05 dial in the first 3 rds and it was getting dark and rain was moving in. Forth round it super hooked and would have run a 6.0 or better if I wouldn't have lifted but that was because the 60 ft time was so much better. Those are 1/8 mile times but how would a predictor have helped? Like I said many of my friends have them and use them but I never felt they win races due to having them. I win as often or more than they do and don't use one. They are mandatory for index racing with throttle stops though. JMHO, RM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts