Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are spraying some epoxy primer on my father inlaws hood . On the can , it reads 4 to 1.1/2 and urethane reducer. What does 4 to 1.1/2 mean ? Does this mean if we use 4 oz. of base , we use 1.1/2 oz of hardner ? Also , it does not say how much reducer . So how much reducer do we use , what is a good ratio ?

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
302 Posts
With the paint I've been using its 4 to 1 ratio. So an easy way to figure is 4 oz paint and 1 oz hardener then I usually thin it down with reducer with 1 oz of reducer per 4 oz of paint. Reducing it makes it spray much easier. Not sure what paint you are using or your mix ratio is was it 1.5 or 1 / 2 ? Most paints I've seen are 4 to 1 or also state 4 to 1 to 1 for thinner mix. I'm sure someone especially will have something to add but I prefer the thinner mix lays on much smoother!

·
Registered
523 Posts
You need to pick up some of these from your local automotive paint supplier.

Measuring Sticks

Mixing ratio measuring sticks for all products. They can be used for (2:1 / 3:1) and (4:1 / 5:1) mixing ratio.

They can be used for (2:1 / 4:1) and (3:1 / 5:1) mixing ratio.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are using master . The ratio is 4 to 1.5 . But it does not say how much reducer . I believe you put me where I need to be. 4 to 1.5 to 1.5 , I think , lol.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
433 Posts
A lot of epoxy primers I have used don't use a reducer, the more you reduce it the more it thins it out and it doesn't do it's job. I have alway put 10%, so 40oz would put 4 oz of reducer. Something else I also learned about the epoxy primer is use (PPG) is you spray it and don't have to sand it, you spray another primer on top of that, like a 2K urethane. You really need to read a tech sheet or talk to your paint rep.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
5,134 Posts
You need to pick up some of these from your local automotive paint supplier.

Measuring Sticks

Mixing ratio measuring sticks for all products. They can be used for (2:1 / 3:1) and (4:1 / 5:1) mixing ratio.

They can be used for (2:1 / 4:1) and (3:1 / 5:1) mixing ratio.
Those paint sticks will only work if the sides of the container you are mixing in are straight.
They are inaccurate if used with the tapered disposable mixing cups.
They are hold overs from the days of straight walled aluminum siphon cups and are only used for stirring now.

·
5,134 Posts
We are using master . The ratio is 4 to 1.5 . But it does not say how much reducer . I believe you put me where I need to be. 4 to 1.5 to 1.5 , I think , lol.

Thanks,

Tony
No, you need to mix it as it says on the can.
If no reducxer is called for it does not need it.
What reducer would you use anyway when it isn't listed?
Not the type of thing to guess at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts