Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys- Today I finally got a chance to meet David(63novafan) and get together on starting work on his floorpan. If any of you have not seen this, he picked up an entire one-piece floorpan replacement. I've always just repaired sections, but with this unit, you completely cut out the old unit and replace it. How easy is that! I think anyone with basic skills and a mig welder will be able to tackle this type of project, and Dave and I will take alot of pictures along the way. We're off and rolling. Dale

·
Registered
129 Posts
do you have to take any precautions?

I just picked up my nova last week and I too need to perform this surgery. Do you have to worry about the body caving if you remove the entire floor pan? I've never attempted anything like this and I'll have to soon.

Please post some pics and any lessons learned.

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I've been asking about this as well. PLEASE post pics and give step by steps. Please include any issues as well. This will be a great sticky if you can provide all steps, pictures etc...

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the lower sill plates in awesome unrusted condition, I'd have to say there really is no way that the car would "cave in". But to be safe, Dave will be taking some critical measurements and recording them so that we can contiually go back and check, check ,and re-check. Plus, another thing that we both agree that is key is to support the heck out of the entire carfrom stem to stern so to speak. Six to eight jackstands should suffice. This is post car, so I would think that if there were any issues, it would immediately become known in the door openings. Dave- If you are following on this, be sure to take LOTS of pictures along the way early on in this. You never know. This may end up being a tech article. Dale

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
another part of the discussion on these one-piece floor pans, was how one would actually get it into the car. that might be a fun set of pictures to show as well. i'm sure i'm not the only one waiting for the progress reports on this one.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
It's real easy on a framed car. Start at the bottom and build up. :)

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Update on the floorpan replacement

Hey guys just an update on my full floorpan replacement. I started off by supporting the car with 6 jack stands, 3 on each side. I made a chalk outline where I would be making my cuts. After this I took some measurements from several points inside the car and will measure again once the old pan is out. Then I pulled out the Hilti Reciprocating saw and started cutting away. Click on this link to see some photos.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nofresurfer50/album?.dir=/f03ascd

·
Registered
54 Posts
good pictures novafan!! I need to do some cutting on mine too, just not the whole floor. Seeing you do it will help me get busy. Keep the pictures coming, and good luck! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave- cuts look straight and clean. Nice work for a first time! I really don't think there will be body flex with the sill's left in place. They are pretty stout pieces. Don't get too carried away with grinding the edges, as we may need to a nip/tuck here and there. Plus, we need all the meat we can get in that metal. Flintsone's- we're on our way to Bedrock!!!!!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi Guys- The work looks great. Nice clean, straight cuts should make it easier for the new pan to go in.

Just one question: Why not tack in a bar between the B-pillars to ensure the body doesn't cave or spread?

Looking forward to seeing the new pan in place!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nice looking work so far! This is a great thread as I am going to be doing this exact surgery this winter on my 66. Seeing the work your doing and the great job gives me some confidence that I can do this myself. Keep the pics coming!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Finally finished

Well everyone, the full floorpan replacement is finally finished. Dale (tedisnoke) came over yesterday and did the welding for me and did an awesome job, if anyone in the So Cal area needs some welding he is the man to talk to. Thanks Dale!

Just to let you know there was no body flex at all. I took measurements after the pan was installed and nothing moved. Also, many people have wondered how to get it into the car. We went from underneath and it went in no problem.

Click on the link for some more pics. Dale took pictures as well maybe he can post some that I don't have. Once again, thanks Dale.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nofresurfer50/album?.dir=f03ascd

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Very nice job. I must live in a cave but I never saw a car with the tunnel rusted out like that. I have done full lenght pans on both sides but the tunnel has always been in good shape. Again, nice work. RM

1 - 20 of 24 Posts