Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with painting experience, will 1 gallon of epoxy primer that calls for a 1:1 mix be enough to cover my entire cars body and interior minus the bottom side of the floor? Wanting to get 2 or maybe 3 coats on.
If not I will order more, just don't want to spend the money if I won't need it, and also don't want to run out in the middle of the job.
The entire car will be bare metal when I start spraying (minus the bottom side of floor.)
Thanks in advance!
O and car is a 73 2 door coupe

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
epoxy primer is meant to be a 1 coat application usually. Floors can get 2 coats. Usually on the exterior you'll be putting a sandable primer filler on after epoxy, unless your stripping car, and then applying epoxy to be able to put body filler over the epoxy. Then follow up with another coat of epoxy to cover bare metal when body work is done, then apply 3 coats of primer filler.
1 coat of epoxy over the bare metal
Body filler over epoxy
1 coat of epoxy to seal body filler and bare metal areas
3 coats of primer surfacer
Ready for Paint

1 sprayable gallon will get you 1 coat of what panels you described.
Add another quart if doing trunk inside.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
epoxy primer is meant to be a 1 coat application usually. Floors can get 2 coats. Usually on the exterior you'll be putting a sandable primer filler on after epoxy, unless your stripping car, and then applying epoxy to be able to put body filler over the epoxy. Then follow up with another coat of epoxy to cover bare metal when body work is done, then apply 3 coats of primer filler.
1 coat of epoxy over the bare metal
Body filler over epoxy
1 coat of epoxy to seal body filler and bare metal areas
3 coats of primer surfacer
Ready for Paint

1 sprayable gallon will get you 1 coat of what panels you described.
Add another quart if doing trunk inside.
Ok thanks! The whole car is getting dustless blasted to bare metal so then spraying the epoxy, then yes lots of bodywork and on and on. Wasn't sure how much coverage a gallon would get me. The can says apply 2-3 coats on it, but if I don't need to then sweet

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And yes trunk Inside, inside doors, inside roof, under hood, every panel basically except the bottom side of floor

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And thanks for the help and info
I've never sprayed anything not out of a rattle can before, but I told myself I was going to do the primer myself (base and clear I will leave for the pros lol.) I'll probably buy another gallon, so I have extra to do a little practice spraying first and get the gun dialed in

1 - 8 of 8 Posts