Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, since I'm getting ready to find out soon enough, thought I'd get a few opinions on what to expect.

I bought this long block engine a while back. Installed a 280 Comp cam, Performer intake and Carb. (get me by's for now) The engine sat in the car for a few months, well the hood got blown off by a strong storm, and rain got into the distributor hole (bag came out and shirts / towels fell off, opening up the area.

Longer story short, I came back in town and it was all covered up by then of course, but water had already gotten down in the dist. hole. I go to check the drain plug and it was loose, I removed it for ****s and giggles.... :eek:

Water mix Oil came pouring out!> it was milky oil color. I checked the valves and as far as I could with a small camera around the engine, everything "looks" ok so far, finger rubbed rust off the rollers of the rockers and that was it.

Opinions. Go.

Is it ok?
Should I pull again and have bottom end gone through?

When I installed the cam at the beginning, this engine was SOAKED in lube! Cam as well! So this will help.

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
As much as it sucks to say this...

...I'd tear it down, then clean and reassemble it. There's a good chance that nothing significant happened, but...if there's just one lifter stuck in the bore or something, that could be all she wrote if you just fire it up.

(C'mon, admit it...you were thinking the same thing, otherwise you wouldn't have asked if it was OK to skip doing that.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh no, the lifters, rockers and all that are fine, I've rotated it by hande and watched every valve and rocker, nothing seemed catchy or anything, wasn't hard to turn over. I'm just worried about the crank and bearings. An old hot rodder friend of my father in law's said that "If that s.o.b. was built right, it's fine! If they lubed the bearings like they should, it should be alright as long as she hand turns." But um.. yah lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts