Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all! heres the deal: new rebuilt med cam 350. eddy 600. it wont idle. when i first start it it idles 7-800 rpm. the carb idle adjusting screws work. the carb works. then when it slighty warms up, it starts stalling and i turn the idle screws all the way shut and it keeps running.i can block off the top by cupping my hands over the carb and it still runs. i have all the vac ports capped except the pcv valve line. when i cap the pcv port it runs the same.ive spray the carb cleaner all around it looking for vac leaks and no change .when i take the fuel line off it a couple of minutes after running it the gas pops out of the line hard.this carb ran fine on my stock 350. the spark on my dist. is good. the engine runs good at high rpm. another thing is at idle the power brakes dont work. any help appreciated mike in nm.:(

·
Registered
508 Posts
well if you can cover the carb and the motor still runs means you are pulling air from somewhere. (vacum leak) could be from an intake gasket or a hole/split in your brake booster hose. your motor is getting air from somewhere other wise it would not run with the carb coverd. with a mild cam (not sure of your specs) but have you tried going up on the idle to around 900-1000 and see what it does? id say fix the leak first then try and adjust the idle issue. hope this helps, Josh

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The part that this takes place after engine warm up.
I say look at intake gasket and intake to head face angle.
heads cut? Intake cut? Intake gasket not thick enough?

Seems you have intake leak under the intake.

Al

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
You can use a propane torch to find the leak. Fire the engine up and start aiming the torch (gas on, but NOT lit) near the base of the carb and slowly work your way around the top of the engine to find the leak. The rpm's will come up when you find the leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts