Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My fathers first car was a '66 Chevy Nova V8 Sport Coupe. He bought it used in '73 and broke it down (to build a dragster), stored it in my grandparents garage and never put it back together. Fast forward to 2020. I am now starting my first muscle car restoration project. Unfortunately the original engine and transmission was removed and is long gone. I've done some research but would like to hear your commentary. In terms of total cost, need for modification and swap kits what are your suggestions? Original 327? Another small block? An LS3 conversion seems appealing. Transmission Suggestions?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Probably the easiest would be just a regular small block chevy engine. Lots of good crate engines out there to choose from or plenty of cores to build what you want. Pair it with the transmission of your choice and get after it. Just about anything can be made to fit.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Welcome to the site..!

These are cars that can be built in many ways. It really depends on what your vision of it looks like and how you would like to use it when complete so to speak.. I really don’t like to tell people how to build their dream but figuring out what you want is important.. If you have a clear vision for it in mind you can plot a corse to that destination.. These cars left the factory with 4, 6, & 8 cylinder engines and 2, 3, & 4 speed transmissions. The combinations available today are even greater..

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
first welcome to the nova site. look around this forum to get your self an idea of what you might like to put together for a nice cruiser. a small block would be the easiest. you never said if this 66 was an auto or 4 speed, a 4 speed auto would be your easiest install an making lower rpm's on the highway. post up some pictures of what your starting with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts