Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about engines, so go lightly on me. lmao

Will the engine, transmission, and exhaust fit into/on a '74 Chevy Nova?
I can get the lot for $1000 and was told it was a steal at that price and even if I couldn't get any of it to fit I could just turn around and resell it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
496 Posts
out of a 1997 corvette, youd be looking at an LS1 engine with a 4l60 four speed automatic or a t56 6 speed. Very popular motor to swap into damn near anything, but can be an involved swap... your looking at special mounts, the wiring harness, a new fuel system, exhaust crossmember, etc

if the motor and transmission are in good shape, id say $1000 is a goooood price....though factor in the cost of the other parts needed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's Automatic 4spd.

Do you have a rough idea on how much I'd be spending to put it in compared to if I decided to sell it outright?

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Do you have a rough idea on how much I'd be spending to put it in compared to if I decided to sell it outright?
My goodness, you sure ask some crazy open ended questions... type, read it, correct, type again... :poke::turn:

But the answer to what you asked is, it will cost you more to put it in your car than if you sell it. :rolleyes::devil: Same with any engine/trans... if you never put it in it costs you nothing... :rotfl:

I think what you meant to ask is how much are you looking at to install it yourself. Here is a short list of big ticket items:

• Wiring harness: if you have the existing one, $500 for rework or $850 for a new one
  • Computer: re-flash will be $150 to get rid of VATS, etc. You do have the computer, right?
  • Crossmember $300
  • Fuel system: if you go with a baffled stainless tank, $1100. You can do a ghetto inline pump system for around $400. Either way, you need to plumb new fuel lines - $300.
  • Exhaust: headers will run $500, then you have the pipes and muffs to add in after that.
  • Cooling: you'll need a new radiator and fan set-up. $500.
  • Motor mounts: $300

So all up, you are looking at +/- $4000 depending on how exotic you get with your parts selection.

Market value on a LS1 and 4L60E combo with low miles in good running shape is around $2000.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Don't forget about the custom oil pan and pickup to fit in in the chassis. If I remember right the Corvette pan won't come anywhere near clearing. Also, if you don't have the accessory drive from the car, there's more money, and that's if the Corvette accessory drive will fit your chassis, most people use F-body drives. I don't think the Corvette one will fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts