Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of using an old subframe to make a quick, cheap rollable engine test stand. Has anyone done? Any ideas on what might be a quick setup to build? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
If you are talking about the later X (Nova) or F (Camaro F-bird) subframe, those babies are super heavy and not very hand rollable. Not to mention you still have the same problem with oil pan access and removal.

Several people on this site have built run-in stands fairly easily. Some are more elaborate than others.
I use mine on every engine and it was well worth the time to build. I use front mounts and built enough clearance to drop the pan without moving the engine. It's no bigger than an engine crate so it easily fits in a corner.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If you are talking about the later X (Nova) or F (Camaro F-bird) subframe, those babies are super heavy and not very hand rollable. Not to mention you still have the same problem with oil pan access and removal.

Several people on this site have built run-in stands fairly easily. Some are more elaborate than others.
I use mine on every engine and it was well worth the time to build. I use front mounts and built enough clearance to drop the pan without moving the engine. It's no bigger than an engine crate so it easily fits in a corner.
x2. I built mine a little bigger (wider base) so I can be a little more comfortable about revving the engine.:devil: It's also completely bolt together so I can take it apart to put it out of the way when it's not in use.
With a gas can (just drop the hose in), electric fuel pump, radiator and an old "Squirl cage" fan from an old residential a/c job, I can literally run an engine until I run out of gas.:yes: Of course it's not set up with mufflers so I'm SURE the neighbors like the tune of the open headers.:rotfl:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Any pics, plans, etc? Thanks
There's a search function above that will help you find threads in this forum that have pictures and more info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts