Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a temp gauge in my 72 about 2 weeks ago, and had the car out for a short Ice Cream run last night. I noticed when I shut the engine off the temp gauge peaked at 250 degrees (thats the max the gauge goes to) Is that normal? I have never had a temp gauge so i never knew if this was ok.

It is a mechanical sunpro gauge, mounted in the intake manifold near the thermostat, and I'm running a stock Pontiac 350. This was an about a 3 mile run to the store and back and i didn't race the engine.

What do yall think?

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
It's not unusual for the temperature to increase after you shut the motor off as there's residual heat in the motor. Going up to 250° may be unusual. Did your cooling system puke any water? Have you tested the gauge?

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
Put the sensor in boiling water and see if it reads your altitude corrected boiling point.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
My cars temp sender is in the intake right by the thermostat. When I shut the car off it does the same thing. Running it's at 180, when you shut it off it sky rockets to 230+. When I start it it drops back to 180 or less in 15-20 seconds. I had always used the temp sender in the head before this and never had this issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts