Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched from v belt pulleys to serpentine and now my engine temp climbs to 250-260 as the tsat is opening. Once it opens it stays where it should around 190. It never never did this with v belt pulleys and never overheats. Just reads high when engine warms up. I’ve double checked with an ir gun. Sending unit is in the passenger head. Can anyone explain why this is happening.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Use that old proven trick and drill two (2) 3/16 holes in the thermostat so that water can pass thru it.

I have done this several times and it stops the temp from spiking.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I believe Chevy stock serpentine setups use reverse flow water pumps. That could be your problem if your serpentine system is from a factory car or truck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a high flow thermostat with bypass holes.
The serpentine kit is from CVF racing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have contacted CVF and they said that it is a reverse rotation pump. They have never had any issues. The engine stays within operating temperature it’s just when the engine is cold and heats up the temp spikes when the thermostat opens.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
My new motor (383 425 hp) has FI tech sending unit in the intake runs nearly 20-30 degrees cooler that the temp gauge in the head. Haven't had any troubles as of yet...:clap::clap:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked with infrared gun and it is not overheating. Had fitech efi temp sensor in driver head and it never went up like passenger side. I have ran the car with radiator cap off to get the air out. I never had this problem with the v belt water pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts