Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Please excuse me if this has been covered. I have read and read and haven't come up with a concise straight answer on this.

I am wanting to do a LQ4 swap on my 66. I am inquiring with wreckers in regards to swap packages and most wreckers are only selling the long blocks, without the wiring harness, pcm, accessories or brackets.

My question is, what from a donor car do i need for this swap? What do i NOT need? Am i better off to get just the long block and go with Aftermarket PCM/Harness, accessories and brackets?

I am on a bit of a budget so if there is opportunity to use parts that i can get from the wrecker, i would prefer that, however, if it causes me extra time and headache, then i am open to go aftermarket.

If this has been covered already, can you please post a link to the post?

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Depends on the year.

If it is DBW, then get the pedal, TAC and harness if possible. You can mod your own harness easy enough.

If it's DBC, you can use your own pedal, no TAC required.

The truck intake will fit in a 66, it's been proven.

You'll need to change the pan, depending on your steering setup.

In short, get the engine, engine harness, throttle pedal and TAC module and the computer. The accessories can be purchased seperately, but get them if you can.

Depends on your budget. Sometimes it's cheaper to just get the basics from the yard, then add on to it from the forums. Most yards resell the accessories, computers etc., and demand high prices for them. There are several harness manufacturers that can sell you a ready to go harness, TAC, pedal, and PCM that will fit your needs for not that much more than the reseller, plus it's all new, so you get a warranty...

T,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The wrecker that I found has a low mile 30k engine setup from a 2007 truck. he wants an extra $1000 for harness, PCM, tac, pedal, accessories and accessory brackets. Is that worth it?

Will I even be able to use the accessory brackets from a truck? Other than the pan, is there anything else I won't need? I am going to be doing the CBR setup.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The wrecker that I found has a low mile 30k engine setup from a 2007 truck. he wants an extra $1000 for harness, PCM, tac, pedal, accessories and accessory brackets. Is that worth it?

Will I even be able to use the accessory brackets from a truck? Other than the pan, is there anything else I won't need? I am going to be doing the CBR setup.

Thanks.
Not really as you will need to modify the harness anyway. You can use the accessories from the truck no problem though. If you switch intakes to a car intake, the water pump neck will interfere with the throttle body.

What is he asking for the engine without all then extras?

You might call John with PSI conversions and tell him what you are doing. I know his harnesses are only a little more than 500 dollars, so he might be able to do it for far less. LS1tech is a good source for the accessories, and I have seen them go for around 300 dollars.

I know for a fact that srfwgn (Mike) has some GTO accessories available for 300 dollars, unless he sold them, which will work perfectly with your swap. So there are several options for you. To me, a grand seems high for what he's giving you. I have seen truck harnesses sell for 200 dollars on tech.

T,

·
Registered
852 Posts
I put the LQ9 in my 65 without any harness,PCM or pedal if your going cable throttle body you wont need the pedal. You can get a harness all setup with a PCM from most places for under 500 bucks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts