Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pick up an engine stand at Harbor Frieght today. One rated to 1000 lbs was on sale for $49.99.
Part #32916
Went together easy and seems pretty heavy duty compared to some Ive seen in that price range.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I have a 2 ton...It will hold up a house...Home made...with 2 1/2 in. square tube steel..I own a 2 ton foldable cheery picker I purchased at HF...Very nice...

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I used to love HF, now Im indifferent. I still use them because they are affordable but the quality is mostly not up to par, even though it still works.

for example, their shrink tubing. works, but just feels thinner that the other stuff. same with the memory wrap. cheap feeling. doesnt spring back as good as other stuff.

but you do save a lot of money over there. I bought my engine stand there for $39 and built my engine on it. even if I throw it away now it was worth it, but it still works fine.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I bought the same one the day my motor was picked up from the machine shop at my local harbor freight and the first time I tried to move the stand the clip came off that held one of the wheels on, however I have added the water pump and alternator to my long block and it holds the weight fine, for the money I spent I am happy....

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have bought alot of things from HF. I would discourage you from buying the three leg stand. They are dangerous and ill suited. I bout the four leg stand, the 2000lb and it was great. At a hundred bucks its worth the added strength. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4420

Ive kinda learned over the years some stuff is ok from them, and others not. Electrics are a no-no. Like for a drill press, the chinese motor is junk, but the rest of the steel is fine. So they have come around a lil for the electrics.

Air tools kinda the same, if its a heavily used item, go with Ingersoll Rand. But something seldom used, by a home guy is an inline sander. I bought one, just for one car. It ended up vibrating itself apart before I could get my car done. So I just exchanged it and continued the work. It lasted so I still have it, prolly wont use it again no way am I doing another car...

Plastics and rubber. NOPE.. I wouldnt use the rubber O-rings they sell, not on a critical part. Zip ties, nope, become brittle. Disposable gloves, yup, they are disposable. I wouldnt buy any of their filler metal for the MIG machine, dont know whats in it.

If its a consumable item then I will consider it cause its gonna be trashed anyway.

I could go on and on. But for heavy steel items like jack stands, jacks, and mostly stationary items I think they all come from the same place so its about cost... JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts