Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Nova SS, 350, 4 speed, 12 bolt, A/C, P/B, P/S,
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas. Question on the engine stamp on my 69. You can see in the picture the VIN has been stamped twice with the lower version appears to not be completely stamped. Thoughts on that?

Have the motor out now and at the machine shop and the shop owner says he has seen this before and claims it’s an old warranty replacement and the motor got stamped with the VIN either at the parts house or dealer?

My issue with that is the casting number on the block, date it was cast, all match being made prior to my car being assembled. Even the heads would indicate original heads.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Vendor
2,486 Posts
I would go with gang stamp screw up on the VIN and they redid it on the line. I have seen pics of plenty of screwy VIN stamps in this area, especially on big blocks. They did in with the heads on and I am pretty sure motor in the car, so space was lacking.

Regarding a warranty block, I don't think warranty blocks used the same suffix codes. I think they also often had extra numbers stamped in other places like flat surfaces in the rear of the block. You will find details of this digging around online.

My vote is original.

Reactions: Stroker Ace Ventura

·
15,760 Posts
I agree with Adam's comment above, that this is an original 1969 Nova engine. The partial VINs were stamped on the Chevrolet assembly line, usually after the engine was in the car. Not always easy to do and frequently kind of a messy application. Looks like the first effort resulted in an uneven stamp, so they did it again. The code breaks down to to a 1969 Nova 350 CID engine built January 14th, 300 HP with either a 3 or 4 speed manual. Does this match up with your numbers and cowl tag body build date?

Bob

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
1,191 Posts
CE block will have a warranty number stamped on it , not the VIN

Reactions: lg1969ss

·
Registered
1969 Nova SS, 350, 4 speed, 12 bolt, A/C, P/B, P/S,
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Adam's comment above, that this is an original 1969 Nova engine. The partial VINs were stamped on the Chevrolet assembly line, usually after the engine was in the car. Not always easy to do and frequently kind of a messy application. Looks like the first effort resulted in an uneven stamp, so they did it again. The code breaks down to to a 1969 Nova 350 CID engine built January 14th, 300 HP with either a 3 or 4 speed manual. Does this match up with your numbers and cowl tag body build date?

Bob
Yes it’s a four speed car. Built in late January of 69. The heads were built late 68 and early 69. This block was cast I believe early 69, four bolt main and based on the numbers I came up with the same, 300HP 350. With the VIN stamp on the motor, I believe it was the original motor but having two stamps and now the motor guy telling me this I started to question. Still has the original Muncie as well with VIN stamp. Appreciate the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts