Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a weird one to me..we were originally trying to find reasons why my mini starter wasn't meshing up very well with my gen 1 350. so we decided to jack up the car and start it to see if the the solenoid was disengaging properly. once we started the car is sounded TERRIBLE, nothing we had heard before. we though the motor was going. so i eliminated all possibilities, took off my serpentine belt and unbolted the torque converter to see if it was still the engine--and it was, same metal-metal grinding noise. so we shut off the car and I used a flywheel tool to turn it manually...you could tell there was defintely a rubbing/grinding problem. so, i decided to lower the car off the jackstands and then start it (last known good status..) and the problem went away. then i jacked it back up and started it again...same problem. what could be hitting or changing when I jack the car up??

i have a 73 nova 350 gen 1, 700r4 tranny. welded subframe connectors and solid body mounts. anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
190 Posts
twisted

Sounds like when you jack it up the starter drive stays engaged, could be twisting the front subframe enough to put pressure between the trans and engine, make sure all bolts are good and tight, engine to trans and motor mount bolts, seems strange works good when on the ground off the stands.:confused:

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Stand placement

Are you putting the stands in the same place every time? Are you putting the stands under the frame around the fender/door joint or under the control arms? Where are you placing the jack to lift the car?
Each of these introduce stresses to the frame and body and move things around a bit.
Try starting the engine and while it's idling start to raise as usual to see when the noise starts. Once you have an idea of the stress point, you can begin to adjust the points where things are rubbing.
Another way to locate the noise is to use a mechanic's stethoscope and follow the sound. Also look at things that rotate for missing paint and scratches. For example, you may find that your pulley on the crankshaft is rubbing on the front sway bar.
Keep us up to date.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you putting the stands in the same place every time? Are you putting the stands under the frame around the fender/door joint or under the control arms? Where are you placing the jack to lift the car?
Each of these introduce stresses to the frame and body and move things around a bit.
Try starting the engine and while it's idling start to raise as usual to see when the noise starts. Once you have an idea of the stress point, you can begin to adjust the points where things are rubbing.
Another way to locate the noise is to use a mechanic's stethoscope and follow the sound. Also look at things that rotate for missing paint and scratches. For example, you may find that your pulley on the crankshaft is rubbing on the front sway bar.
Keep us up to date.
Ha! I checked the crank balancer...it's outer edge was rubbing on the sway bar when the car is jacked up. I would have never guessed!

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Cool

Glad you found it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
funny you mention that, we had hell trying to tune the car for the longest time and it kept getting out of time. or so we thought... then we realized the timing light was "jumping around" according to the mark on the balancer. heh...the balancer 'weight' on the outside had come loose from its center..spinning on its own. I scared the crap out of me, i thought it had ruined the motor--not knowing how long it had ran like that. seems fine a year later though after replacing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts