Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I researched, you need to wire a 12GA wire in place of the resistor wire. No problem, except I want to make it a clean install and want to use the same lug (is that what it is called) in the engine side fuse block to hook my new wire up to.

I got it out of the fuse box, but can not seem to pry it off the old resistor wire :mad: What is the trick without mangling it? If I do mangle it, can these be bought new, and if so what is the technical name?

Oh, and this is on a 71 nova.

thanks guys

ps
I had to use a yellow wire for this as the store had red, black and yellow only in most sizes, and there are a lot of red and black in the engine bay (previous owners work) and wanted to use pink like the factory did in HEI cars. So where the heck would I find different color combo wires for when I go to correct all the mess in the engine bay?

thanks again

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
That connection is soldered so it needs to heated with a soldering iron/gun and the old wicked off or removed with a solder sucker. Then the crimp can be opened and a new wire installed. How much and what color wire do you need? I have a 76 parts car sitting here and I can cut a piece off and send it to you. Given enough time I may be able to remove the factory HEI wire from the block. I was planning on pulling the motor this coming week as it is sold, then the wire will be easier to get to.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That connection is soldered so it needs to heated with a soldering iron/gun and the old wicked off or removed with a solder sucker. Then the crimp can be opened and a new wire installed. How much and what color wire do you need? I have a 76 parts car sitting here and I can cut a piece off and send it to you. Given enough time I may be able to remove the factory HEI wire from the block. I was planning on pulling the motor this coming week as it is sold, then the wire will be easier to get to.
Sweet! I was looking for the hei wire, and from what I have been able to research, it should be pink.

I don't have a soldering iron, I guess it is time to buy one :turn: , I have been cheating and use a torch to solder wires :rolleyes:

Are those lugs available new? I can't find them.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
I have never seen them, but there are some specialty supply houses that may carry them. I will get the wire from the 76 for you after the engine is out.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Hi Bill,

If you do end up needing one, those lugs are available new from some auto parts stores. I think NAPA has them.

They're called "Packard 56" series terminals.

There's also a slightly larger version (Packard 59) used in some higher current circuits. I've seen these used on the fusebox end of HEI feed wires of some vehicles so watch out for that if you get a complete HEI feed wire assembly from a parts car.

The lugs have two sets of crimp tabs. One crimps to the bare wire to make the electrical connection. The other crimps around the wire's insulation for extra mechanical support. They make special (expensive) tools for crimping them but if you're careful it can be done with a regular crimping tool meant for non-insulated terminals.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
You should tie into two wires. The ignition wire coming from the fuse block and the ignition wire coming from the starter. Without the starter connection, you will not have current while it is cranking. You will have to let off the starter for the engine to fire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts