Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had over heating problems for two years. Got that all fixed but then it started running cold.I have checked the temp gauge and engine temp with two different temp guns and both read the same. On a normal day say 85 Degrees on the highway temp stays at 170 if the outside temp is around 60 or so then engine is 160. On hot day and i turn on the air then engine gets up to 180 normal temp. I have a 350 with a 2 core Griffin Rad. 180 degree therm, high volume water pump, fan and shroud and a filler plate between the grill and Rad. support. Any Ideals please

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My BB doesn't go over 180° even in stop and go with the outdoor temps at 90°, I wouldn't change it.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
As the first response to this thread suggested, change out the thermostat. It is the device that controls the lower end of the operating temperature of your engine. It seems quite evident that your system is circulating enough coolant to control the upper end, you just want to choke off the flow a little more at the low end.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had the same problem and in temps around freezing when I wanted interior heat it would take forever to get up to the thermostat temp of 185,even with cardboard in front of the rad.When I held the thermostat up to the light you could see it wasn't closing all the way and not by much,just a sliver.So little I didn't think it could be the problem.A replacement of the same brand had the identical issue so I tried a different brand and it was tight.I was skeptical but it solved the trouble completely.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sounds like a thermo as others have said although, it appears that in your hunt to eradicate your overheating you also put together a rather robust cooling system!

I once had a 69 camaro that I was fighting overcooling issues. I switched out a half dozen thermos to no avail. I also was fighting an issue of throwing my water pump belt at about 6500 RPM, that was my final clue.

I finally realized my overcooling was because I had the wrong pulley on either the water pump or crank (it was 25 years ago, can't remember), so the water pump was always working too hard. Got the right pulley on there underdrive it a bit and it was flawless ever since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Engine Runs Cold

I have a 350 030 with aluminum heads / intake manifold and big block aluminum radiator and it runs 145 on cool days, say <70 degrees. Never gets over 190, even in hot and humid weather. I always thought that was a good thing, especially for Florida.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts