Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, drove on out here to Columbus today and noticed something that's never happened to me before. The engine was not running hot. In fact, with my cooling system set up, the temps never got above 160, but run at a consistant 140 degrees. That's in 85 degree weather, doing 65 on the highway at 3100rpm. Is this too cool? Should I add a restrictor to get the temps up a little, like to 160-180, or should I just leave it alone?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, sure don't.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Mine drives the best around 180. I never checked it at the track to see where it makes the most power. Around 190-200 I get vapor lock and anything much under 180 it seems like it doesn't run well with the air gap. JMO.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you put a thermostat in it, it would probably run 180-190.an engine without a thermostat tends to run a good bit cooler than if you run one.I'd say put a thermostat in it if you want it to run a little hotter.hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
you should have a restrictor in there. I 've been told without one the water is circulated too fast and doesn't cool off the rear cylinders. You won't notice because your temp gage sender is in the front of the engine in all that cool water. I used to run a 160 stat in the summer and a 180 in the winter. It would help to keep the heat in the motor on those cold nights out street racing:devil: OH SNAP DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD???

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Not to hijack, but my car always ran about 180-200 in traffic. Now after retiming and rebuilt carb, It goes up to and sometimes past 210 in traffic. I dont know if thats a lot, but its definetly different.Someone mentioned somewhere that a more efficent, better burning engine will make more heat??? Should I take my thermo. out? Just a summer car. Thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
You've got a thermostat in your house, right? With a small A/C unit on a hot day the A/C will run constantly and you don't need a thermostat. With a big A/C unit on a warm day your house will freeze without a thermostat. Your house likes to be at a certain temp and so does your motor. You need a thermostat to turn the radiator off and on to maintain the motor temp. The better your cooling system the more you need a thermostat.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Nope, sure don't.
Well thats strange. According to most people your car should be overheating because the water is flowing to fast and aint coolin down good because it aint in the rad long enough........:rolleyes: :poke:

Sorry, I just couldnt resist. I feel anything under 160 is a little too cool. You could try a 180 thermostat and see how it runs. Mine likes that range the best. Mine feels a little sluggish if i take the thermostat out and it doesn't get hot enough.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
you should have a restrictor in there. I 've been told without one the water is circulated too fast and doesn't cool off the rear cylinders. You won't notice because your temp gage sender is in the front of the engine in all that cool water.
And that's how internet myths spread. Someone says something totally made up "sound plausible" but wrong and someone repeats it without knowing or checking to see if it's true or not.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
The thermostats only job is to set the MINIMUM operating temp. They have nothing to do with overheating (unless they broken and are stuck clossed).

Radiator surface area, Maximum water flow through the engine and maximum air flow across the radiator is what keep an engine cool.
Ron

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The thermostats only job is to set the MINIMUM operating temp. They have nothing to do with overheating (unless they broken and are stuck clossed).

Radiator surface area, Maximum water flow through the engine and maximum air flow across the radiator is what keep an engine cool.
Ron
That's what I always found funny. People's car would be running hot and they would put in a lower temp thermostat. When you try to explain that once it is open it is open they look at you like you are stupid.

Like 62civa says, it is pretty simple!!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I think they think it's like the thermostat in the house that runs the A/C. Just dial down the temp. If only it was that simple.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
And that's how internet myths spread. Someone says something totally made up "sound plausible" but wrong and someone repeats it without knowing or checking to see if it's true or not.
well that myth has been around before the internet so I guess if its been repeated enough it becomes legend and "plausible" enough to believe. Much like the magic bullet theory or bigfoot. So until Mythbusters "bust it" I won't dispute it. :devil:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Kari

says:

She also says if you say "Gullible" real, real slow it sounds like "Green Beans".

Try it. I heard it was true.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
you should have a restrictor in there. I 've been told without one the water is circulated too fast and doesn't cool off the rear cylinders. You won't notice because your temp gage sender is in the front of the engine in all that cool water. I used to run a 160 stat in the summer and a 180 in the winter. It would help to keep the heat in the motor on those cold nights out street racing:devil: OH SNAP DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD???
Well thats strange. According to most people your car should be overheating because the water is flowing to fast and aint coolin down good because it aint in the rad long enough........:rolleyes: :poke:

Sorry, I just couldnt resist. I feel anything under 160 is a little too cool. You could try a 180 thermostat and see how it runs. Mine likes that range the best. Mine feels a little sluggish if i take the thermostat out and it doesn't get hot enough.

-Dan

This stemmed from a publication by Bill (grumpy) Jenkins back in either the late 70's or early80's...

Bill implied that the water by moving to fast through the block and radiator.. the water did not have time to saturate with heat nor did it have time to transfer that same heat to the radiator..... the reason I know this is because I read it....in one of bill's publications..

Which is a false statement... I thought the same thing Till one Mike Goble and I had a meaningful discussion.... even tho Grumpies statements went against my steam plant training(USN) Because the Grump said it.... It had to be true..... then a little science intervened...Ho SNAP>>>>

anyhow it's wrong statment... as for cooling the back cylinders.... all Gen1 SBC and all MK4 BBC are front to back flow through the cylinder Block then up from the rear of the block to the hear to the heads then through the heads to the water neck and finally in to the radiator inlet

thats the reason you see people plumbing the rear of the intake at the water outlet and mating it to the water neck.. impart to even the heat differences

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Put a 180 thermostat in.. I ran mine with a 160 with my current alum rad setup and it never got above 140 - 150. I put the 180 therm in and now it runs no higher then 180 - 185 max in 90 deg weather..

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Fact, Theory, Misinformation, White Lies

This stemmed from a publication by Bill (grumpy) Jenkins back in either the late 70's or early80's...

Bill implied that the water by moving to fast through the block and radiator......in one of bill's publications..

Which is a false statement...

anyhow it's wrong statment...
Yup,
Caution, do your own backup research.

Not everything you read is fact. Unless it's TextBooks or Technical Manuals, multiple. Guys like Grumpy and Smokey were rarely questioned. They weren't always correct either. They were inovators that tried stuff. Sometimes the stuff worked and they commented on it before they even knew why completely. Also, some of their articles and/or quotes were made when they were competing for championships. Sometimes they said things to throw off the competition, have them chase their tails for a few weeks instead of working on stuff that could beat them. Smokey used to do stuff under the hood you could see that didn't do anything for performance so you wouldn't notice the important things he changed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts