Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I absolutely know the right way to build an engine. BTDT. Bare block was GM, every other piece on the finished engine was brand new aftermarket, including the main caps. Overbored, decked, align honed, magnafluxed... Forged rotating assembly, solid roller cam, Dart heads, blah blah blah. All brand new. All researched, simulated, measured, degreed, clearanced and everything. And after all that, it spun a cam bearing, and I rebuilt it...again...about a year later.

That's not what I'm looking for here.

Checking out my local shop's pricing page (which may have changed since they updated it in January), looks like about $500 to do an overbore, "jet wash", and replace the cam bearings. (Plus parts and hazmat fees I'd assume). That's half my budget, so probably not going to happen. No clue what their backlog is either.

Vortec isn't in the cards because (dumb reason) I hate the look of center-bolt valve covers. Yes, there are adapters, but that's more $ and it's one more thing to leak. Not-so-dumb reason is that I'd need a new intake too, and pushrods(?) so that's more $$. I do NOT care about wringing every last HP out of this. I don't want it to be totally lame, but I'm not looking to spend money replacing the rear tires every few months either. I just want to be able to fill it with low octane, turn the key, and drive wherever I want to without worrying about it.

First step is taking it apart to see what I'm working with, and I'm not quite there yet. Just testing the waters...

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
@patman you got this! Stone hone, new rings, cam... Stuff. Easy 300 reliable hp. I have a budget build going as well and most of the stuff besides the pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets is all used and already in my posession, sourced from trades or swaps. All in about $600 + my time and labor to complete. Should be a good 430hp with the stuff I have been able to collect. 300 is not out of reach for you at all, even with the limitig heads, and that may be all you can wring out of it with the air flow you can get through them... But still reliable as an old Briggs and Statton edger motor!!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts