Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, the 283 i had in my Nova I tore down to regasket. I pulled all the lifters out in proper organized fashion so they werent mixed up goin back in. New head gaskets etc etc. fresh oil pump too. the lifters didnt sit in any oil to reprime-I didnt see a need to:confused: never have before. K, now its all together and I'm priming the engine, the drivers side has oil to the rockers, the pass side I cannot get the lifters to pump up and no oil up to the rockers at all! not even one.......WHAT THE ? Now i've seen some engines take some time to prime in the past but this is weird. Any suggestions?

Todd

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the same thing....tried it. Maybe I didnt hit the right spot everytime? that would be my luck hahahaha geeeesh:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
c'mon engine gurus someones gotta know something

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
spin your drill faster i to experianced this on a recent build of my friends motor the oil pump may still not pe primed all the way you will no once its full the drill motor will slow down from there keep the trigger down and say " look ma i struck oil "

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The crankshaft position will have nothing to do with the lifter valley oiling.

If you look at the back of the block.
just above the cam freeze plug you will have (3) 1/4 pipe plugs.

The ones that are left & right of the center, are the feed ports to the lifters. You might want to remove these and check for trash or oil film build up.

Also what is the oil pressure while priming?

Al

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No galley plugs were removed,and I spun my drill enough to feel the pump actually working. Like I said I have oil coming up to the drivers side bank. The thought of crap stuck in one of those galleys is not cool......I will ck that.

Thanks, Todd

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
If you are using a primer shaft only and not using a sleeve/collar to mimic a distributor body, you will not feed the r/s head. Oil will just flow back to the pan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts