Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I posted this in the 1st generation forum but haven't got a response..So I'll try it here...

Well this will be the last step...I need to know what would be easier to do...On my 66 nova I'm ready to pull the 6 cyl....Now should I remove the engine with the bellhousing connected and just remove the four bolts that hold the three speed trany to the bellhousing??....or seperate the bellhousing from the engine...???.....Thanks....Randy.....

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
If it was me I would pull the engine separate from the trans and bellhousing. Some may say otherwise but that 6 cylinder is long and together with the trans that is a long unit to pull as one.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had thought about pulling the trans with the motor...But it has a three speed floor shifter that I installed...So I thought it might be better to leave the trans in..if possible......This is a learning experience to say the least...

·
Registered
432 Posts
You prob have already considered this, but if you pull as one unit I would make your hoist mounting point (or points) so that you can easily tilt the engine and trans when lifting. Somewhere on the front half of the engine so physics and gravity are with ya :D.

If your mounting points are offset (one forward one back on the engine) you will be fighting things quite a bit to get the tilt needed to clear the core support and trans tunnel.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks for all of your Input....I'll probably try to disconnect the bellhousing from the 6 cyl engine block...Leave the Bellhousing and trany intacted. and support it with a jack..I'm going at this pretty much a loner...with my wife as my only helper...If she's patient with me..LOL...Any more Info would be greatly appriciated.....Thanks again.......Randy.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,637 Posts
When I pulled mine, I just pulled the engine, left the trans in place. I had good help though. We had no issues getting it all to line up when we put it back in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts