Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started my 355 up after winter hibernation. Ran for a few minutes in high idle then all of sudden died. Now will start up but wont idle on it's own and is missing. Can keep it running if I keep on the gas, but wont stay even. Have a plastic in line filter, it's full of fuel. No apparent vacuum line off. Holley 650. Where to start?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
old fuel from last year with out any stay-bil in it. got to say this a mouse built a nest in your carb air cleaner or maybe your tail pipe.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What do you do to winterize? Use a fuel additive like Stabil, run your bowls dry?
If you run standard gasoline at the pump (E10), you may have some build up in your idle circuit. maybe try spraying some carb cleaner down the air bleeds?

All this assuming the engine ran well and had a decent tune when you put her away?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran fine when put it away. I just drain radiator and pull the battery cables. Would just do cables but I dont run antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I had the same problems with my Nova last Spring... as I forgot to add Stabil gas treatment to the fuel prior to Fall. My engine ran like crap when I first started it up. I took it for a long drive to burn up some of the fuel in the tank, then filled up with some high octane gas. My engine immediately ran better.

From what I have read, the ethanol that is added into the fuel at most gas stations begins to weaken after 3-6 months of storage. I now try to drive my car 1-2 times a month during the Winter season to help alleviate this issue.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it going, changed fuel filter. Had one laying around for a lawn mower. Put it on and fired it up. Sat and idled fine. Tried to upload a video of before and after but said it was too big of file. I will put a good metal filter on when I get a chance. Will put stability in next winter as a precaution.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
i'm a believer in putting stay bil in the gas. but the last year i've been running sea foam in all my motors, even in my four stroke out board motor for the boat

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you can find a place that sells off road (or recreational) fuel locally, you could fill a few 5 gallon cans with it and fill your car up with it before you store it. I've been running it in my lawn mowers and so far, so good. Ethanol can gel in the carb. Another trick that sometimes works is to quickly put your hand over the carb while it's running. This will suck the gel from the passages in the carb. It works sometimes. Glad you were able to get it going.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
It’s best not to leave too much fuel in a vehicle if it’s not going to be driven for a long my period of time.. The fuel gets to a point where it just won’t run very well at idle. Use it up before you park it that way when you get back to it you can add a good amount of fresh fuel and be on your way..

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't bother with sta-bil. It does more harm than good, or people always pour the whole bottle in, etc. If I know I'm going to leave something sitting with gas in it for months at a time, I fill it to the top with premium - the higher the better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts