Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

So I painted my new motor with engine paint and then decided I wanted to go with a different color. The problem is engine paint only comes in factory paint colors and I want to paint the block a non factory color. Does anyone know if you can paint over engine paint with regular non high temp spray paint and will it have issues when the motor heats up?:confused:

·
Registered
421 Posts
the non high temp paint will not take the heat well. what color were you looking for? por15 has a bunch of colors for engine paint. when painting a engine it really needs to be clean.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The color I am looking for is metallic burnt orange

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
If its a urethane paint it will take the heat well. Now I'm talking block, heads
and brackets etc. Headers, will not fly.

Most of the spray bomb high temp stuff is enamel so you would need to get
it off first. Then do your prep work, prime and paint.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
I saw a hot rod in Lakeport a coupla years ago that had a sweet bassboat 'flaked lime green block, smoothed out, it looked awsome! :yes::yes:It was a chopped, channeled, & slammed '32 Chevy,or other.:rolleyes:
I used the "redder" orange factory color VHT for my I6.It looks better than the factory blue.Good luck & :pics: :D

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
This car belongs to a freind of mine. The engine is a 2006, 6.1 Hemi. He painted it using PPG base/clear car paint. The color is 2004 Chrysler Prowler Tangerine Pearl.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Hey Joel...See if you can rent a little syphen sand blaster..and compressor...It won't take much to rough it up so you can reprimer it, then see if you can have a quart of high temp of your color choice mixed..You should be able to rent a spray gun too if you don't already have one..

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Randy,

Yes thought about that but then started checking out Duplicolor MetalCast paint using the ground coat first. Bought a can and tested it on the water pump, pretty interesting stuff. If I paint the motor I'll post some pics.

Did you get your antenna?

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I repainted another project I had I painted my block & heads with the same basecoat/ clear coat I used on the truck and I never had any issues with the paint peeling or discoloring and the color I used was a burnt orange metallic, Sherwin williams paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts