Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What engine oil weight would you use 454 12.5-1 730 lift Roller goes thru the traps at 7200 rpm

·
Registered
748 Posts
my 454 is not nearly as wild as yours but I beat on mine pretty hard and thats an under statement. I run castrol straight 30 weight conventional oil. never had a problem with it.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Been running Valvoline VR1 20X50 for many years. Never have had a problem with it.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys I guess I will stick with the 20/50

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Unless you are having some issues or are worried about something new you are doing I wouldn't get too excited about the viscosity of a quality brand oil in a basic drag race motor. I like to change oil about every 25 passes but I have friends who go to around 50 passes. I don't feel the oil gets hot enough to burn off any contaminations so I change it out. I use to run conventional Valvoline 10X30 in motors like yours until they took the Zinc out of it and those motors always looked fine at freshen ups. Some people will say with roller cams zinc isn't important, I disagree with that idea but that's just me. My current 582 had 15 to 1 compression and I spray a small 150 shot in high gear at times plus it turns 7800 thru the traps and the bearings always look like new and the piston skirts are fine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
have any of you guys experienced lower then expected oil pressure @ idle with a 20w50 oil?? I've got CompCams 20w50 motor oil in mine specially designed for flat tappet cams and the oil pressure during cold start is around 40-50psi at idle. As it warms up and i assume the vicosity of the oil thickens, oil pressure drops to around 20-25 psi at idle and a 2000 rpm warm im getting about 50psi.

Im due for an oil change and i bought some Amsoil Z-Rod from the local distributor. I told him I wanted to run the 10w30 but he ended up shipping me 20w50. I just dont know if i want to run the 20w50 in a street car that sees a lot of idle and part throttle time.

Any suggestions?? Should I even be concerned about it?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I use Brad Penn 10w30 racing oil in my 396 375 hp. I would rather get more volume of oil going through my engine than pressure. JMO.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again thanks for the info I usually change my oil mine every 50 passes OK now what oil filter? currently I use the long AC Delco

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use Joe Gibbs racing oil, XP4 to be exact! The higher zinc helps at RPM as well as it's a low detergent oil, better for wilder set ups

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Didn't one our race gurus that cars went a little quicker with straight 30w vs 20/50w?
I try to get vr1 30w but usually oreillys only has 20/50w.
Either way both are what I use.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
You can not find 30 wt VR1 around here anywhere. Nobody has it. Everyone has 20X50 and 50wt though. I ordered 3 cases of 30 wt from Advance Auto one time and it took weeks for them to get it. I'd run it if I could find it......LOL.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I guess I better check into it. I get it locally from O'Reilly but they usually have to get it in from a local warehouse so it only takes a day or less. They never stock it, so you have to ask to have it sent in.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Auto Zone always has a good sale about once per year but they never have any in store stock. They do the buy one get one free and I buy 3 cases and get 3 more free off the website then get free shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
I guess I better check into it. I get it locally from O'Reilly but they usually have to get it in from a local warehouse so it only takes a day or less. They never stock it, so you have to ask to have it sent in.
I've gotten it at oreillys but they usually have the 20/50w

·
Registered
321 Posts
Amsoil 10w30 Racing oil, change every 50 to 100 runs, Wix racing filter, K&N air filter, 663 runs on mid 10 second bracket motor, bearings and cylinder walls looked great. Just refreshed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am in the same boat both orilleys and autozone only have 20/50 vr1:(

Call them and ask them to order it in...I get it within a day or two at most. The stores seem to not stock the shelves with 30wt but the warehouses have it. (or did)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts