Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to pull the engine from my 62 to do floor pan replacement.

Wondering if I can attach my engine hoist to the ends of the cylinder heads using the tapped holes? Will be attaching at each end of both heads. I know they have a plate that attaches where the manifold is, but I don't want to pull that off.

Engine is an aluminum LS1 from a 2000 TransAm. Will be lifting the engine with the trans (4L60E) attached. I can remove the trans if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hi before i suggest anything can send a picture or 2 to see the exact set up you have it's going to depends on how far back the motor sits i'm pretty sure the tail shaft on your tranny is longer then p/g 350 etc...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May have not made myself clear.

I want to pick up the aluminum LS1 engine with my cherry picker. Trying to find out if I can attach the chain hoist for my cherry picker to the tapped holes on each end of the LS1 engine cylinder heads and lift the engine with the 4L60E transmission attached or are those attachment points not strong enough to carry that load?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Engine lift points

From my experience, yes, you can lift an LS engine and whatever transmission you have by the bolt holes on the end of the heads. I do suggest the following suggestions: If you don't have an extended reach cherry picker, and you don't unbolt the transmission from the engine, you might not be able to get the transmission to clear the radiator support, will drain most of the trans' fluids out and likely smash/scratch the firewall. Another issue I had was the rear access is too little to get a long enough bolt threaded into the head AND a suitable chain. I wouldn't use 1" straps, they can't handle the drive train's weight. Also check & verify any bolt used in a blind hole doesn't bottom out & damage the head... again, trust me on this one... Once you figure out HOW you can safely attach a lifting apparatus, and have planned for the radiator support, then proceed with caution & enjoy your time wrenching!! I find it easier with less stuff on the engine: no exhaust, front accessories or radiator/fan.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
They do sell LS valley lift plates, and they are very affordable. The only downside is you have to remove the intake, but I would do that anyway for an install.

Jack

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can attach bolts to the backside and front sides of the heads. Done it many times with the tranny attached. I posted some pictures of the ones I use. I did recently pick up a dirty dingo lift plate and it makes a world of difference. Especially if you have a loadleveler. The lift plate eliminates the worry about scratching the firewall too. I would also recommend removing the intake, even tho the ls1 intake sit low. You'll have to tip the motor pretty decent to get it out with the transmission and damageing the plastic intake could happen just by accident. I also use harden bolts too when lifting by the heads.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts