Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on building a Gen 1 SBC 355 to put in my 63 and am almost finished. I know that there is limited space with headers etc on these cars... I am wondering what all can be safely installed on the engine before dropping it in and not have clearance issues on install? Obviously headers need to be left off and carb but can starter, alternator, and everything also get put on? The radiator and electric fan is out of the car so there isn't issues up front. I have a TH350 and am planning to install the engine and trans together. Thanks for any tips

·
Registered
63 Nova SS (Basket Case)
50 Posts
I found I had to put them in as just a long block, no accessories, then dress it out. I could not install or remove a passenger header with the starter installed. Guess it depends on what brand, I had the hooker undercar.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have hooker's as well and you need to drop them in before the engine. Also, bolt the heads on first. I left the heads off, had the short block in, bolted up the trans and crossmember, then had a heck of a time torquing the head bolts because the headers were in the way. It was doable, but a pain. Also, if you have an oil pan that goes around the steering linkage, the steering linkage needs to be out of the way, too. If you have an HEI, you may want to remove the cap. And another thing! An engine tilter makes the job much easier. If you don't have one, get one with ball bearings on the screw. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
758 Posts
If you have an HEI, you may want to remove the cap.
Even with a regular distributor remove the cap. Otherwise you will most likely be replacing it. I had stock Ram Horn exhaust on my engine when I installed it along with everything except the carburetor. I took the radiator and the radiator support out which makes the process a whole lot easier in my opinion. Installed the engine and transmission as one unit and was able to do it by myself. You already have the radiator out so it wouldn't take that much time or effort to remove the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts