Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This engine is in a 1967 2 door hard top. The engine bay looks to be pretty original. I only have the picture, so, from what you see, can it be identified? Any guesses? From what we see, could it be original?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
6,498 Posts
Do you have a coin to flip ?. It could be original and might not be.

If it's being represented as an original numbers matching car then the seller needs to provide proof of this.

If you have to do the research, then you need to be armed with knowing where part numbers are cast, where date codes should be stamped, how to decode date codes, what to look for as far as bolt head markings, asking the owner if you can scrape off dirt grease, or whatever to get at the marks, and so on.

There are some things looking at the one picture that has me leaning towards original BUT a LOT is still covered up and an unknown.

You never know too, with how that one picture is, it was stored years ago because it was stolen ?. Take that into account as a possibility.

You really need more pictures and information than just the one photo.

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim,

I understand your concerns. I am getting this car in a price range that its not a huge issue if it's not original. I was just getting thoughts. Once I get my hands on it I can and will do more research.

It looks to have a four barrel carburetor. If original, could it be an original 327? Just curious as to what it may be if original.

Thanks,

·
13,695 Posts
Wow, almost impossible to tell from a picture. Need at least the last 2 letters of the engine suffix code to even know what the engine is. The car is over 50 years old, so could be a 327, but not the original. Tough one.

Bob

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If that's a 4 bbl it looks like a WCFB- 1967 used Qjets that creature could be anything.

·
6,498 Posts
Thanks Jim,

I understand your concerns. I am getting this car in a price range that its not a huge issue if it's not original. I was just getting thoughts. Once I get my hands on it I can and will do more research.

It looks to have a four barrel carburetor. If original, could it be an original 327? Just curious as to what it may be if original.

Thanks,
My thoughts are that the word "original" is kinda vague for a description. I hear you wanting to get opinions as to what you might be buying but don't get hung up on just one thing like an engine. View the whole vehicle and then go from there.

Is it "original" as to how it was when it rolled off of the assembly line or is it "original" as to how the dealership delivered it to the customer after it was requested a change before delivery or is it "original" as to how it was bought from a previous owner that changed something ?.

The word "original" just can be seen in different ways.

Just like the word "survivor". I could look at that one picture and say it's a survivor motor as I could look at it that it has survived this long and it shows it with the debris around it.

Jim

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Only way to know for certain is to run the numbers...

It certainly has a number of period appropriate attributes like the oil filler tube, solid valve covers, and the outrigger alternator but it could be a 283, 327, or 350 set up that way..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My thoughts are that the word "original" is kinda vague for a description. I hear you wanting to get opinions as to what you might be buying but don't get hung up on just one thing like an engine. View the whole vehicle and then go from there.

Is it "original" as to how it was when it rolled off of the assembly line or is it "original" as to how the dealership delivered it to the customer after it was requested a change before delivery or is it "original" as to how it was bought from a previous owner that changed something ?.

The word "original" just can be seen in different ways.

Just like the word "survivor". I could look at that one picture and say it's a survivor motor as I could look at it that it has survived this long and it shows it with the debris around it.

Jim
OK...lets say "original" as to how it was when it rolled off the assembly line?

·
Registered
17 Posts
That was my engine bay a few weeks ago.

Quick way is the block stampings on a flat spot by the no2 cyl. And look at the casting mark on the front of the heads too. Both can be looked up quick on the internets on your phone.

The 283 in my '64 turned out to be from a '58. So.... it could be anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts